Looking for a line to draw..

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a line to draw..

Im trying to "figure out" if my son took something or relapsed with heroin.. He is nearly 1 week out of detox, his behavior to me was suspicious, I am watching him like a hawk,
I am unfamiliar with the effects of different drugs, so can you tell me , which drug makes you thirsty and gives insomnia ?? I noticed he had more water than ive seen him drink all week, and he was up all night. , oh and I did check his pupils and they were a bit small but ive heard that the methadone they tapered him with could cause that for a while. I came right out and asked him , he denied, but that means nothing obviously, addicts aren't known for their honesty.
I know he has access to someone with methadone, will that cause those types of symptoms??
also he is going to be trying to get into outpatient rehab, they do drug testing weekly right ?? I want to know since I am allowing him to live under my roof can I request they tell me the results ?? he is an adult but this is my house.
thankyou for your help
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think amphetamines cause excessive thirst and insomnia. Sorry you're going through this. Hugs
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many drugs cause insomnia, agree w/Penny though, speed does cause extreme thirst and insomnia. However, if he was sick and dehydrated he could still be doing H and be very thirsty and also if he shoots it he can be drinking water to get his veins in better shape. On H you will see alot of people stay up for days and then crash for days.

I will add that I don't know anything about the affects of methadone. I think there are lots of drugs that could be doing this to him, and there could be other factors outside of drugs also. Time will tell,it always does.

Good luck and God Bless. I am sorry for what brings you here,but glad you are here.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Behavior always shows the truth.
Hell addicts always show the truth, doesn’t matter what the answer to the question is, the truth is there. It is the one asking who has the issue accepting it.

And the drug testing, well they should be doing that at outpatient, but all he has to know is enough about them, and what test ( 5 panel, 10 panel, etc) he is given to beat it. It really isn’t that people mask them, they just know what is being tested for and use accordingly. So a passed test doesn’t always mean much. And not he is an adult, you shouldn’t have access to his result of any test. Let him live within his actions, that is the only way he will be able to save himself.

Heroin addicts do not sleep for a long time after they kick…insomnia for a heroin addict is very normal. A week out of detox, no he shouldn’t be sleeping and won’t for awhile.
And the excessive thirst, well you know since the heroin does hijack that part of the brain that tells you to eat, drink, seek shelter, his signals could be off … and detox is tough on the body aside from the effects of not using or using a host of drugs in many classes.

Shouldn’t the line should have been drawn already. If you can’t stop or control yourself from picking apart what he is and isn’t showing then maybe for your own health and his he shouldn’t have been allowed to return home. You won’t do him any favors being all up in what he is doing whether he is or isn’t using. In both situations it is unhealthy for YOU and won’t help him.

Are you at all getting any help and support for yourself? This does go a long way and can be a gift to the addicts in one’s life.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inciting..

You are absolutely right on every point..
Kudos
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im not sure insomnia is a good indicator of drug use right now. My husband still has insomnia, anxiety issues and he is months off using. Also look up symptoms for PAWS like my husband was diagnosed with, it might be too soon for your son to be effected but wont hurt to be aware of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by incitingsilence View Post
If you can’t stop or control yourself from picking apart what he is and isn’t showing then maybe for your own health and his he shouldn’t have been allowed to return home. You won’t do him any favors being all up in what he is doing whether he is or isn’t using. In both situations it is unhealthy for YOU and won’t help him.
This ^ a thousand times over.

My daughter is a recovering IV addict (dilaudid) and we had a well established dance going on by the time she decided she was done. If she looked or acted 'this' way, I responded 'that' way. It was a learned habit and just like pavlov's dogs, we both reacted on cue.

We helped our daughter find other living arrangements and I'm positive it saved us both.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I really don't think you have to look for things and question. More often than not it will be pretty apparent if he is back out there. Might be better for both of you if he found a "sober living" house. It can be stressfull both ways.