I have a question regarding meetings

Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a question regarding meetings

Hi please if someone can tell me would you say for a newly Vltava just out of detox today 4 yr h user that na meetings alone are enough to help you ?? My son is on the beginning of his journey and he feels that attending na meetings is all he thinks he needs . I think intensive outpatient rehab would be the better what's your take ?? Thanks soo much
Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good evening baddream,

You had a question whether or not meetings are enough for your son? You feel outpatient is the way to go?

I guess my response would be it really depends on your son. Some addicts have gotten clean and remained clean without any type of recovery program. I doubt it is the norm though. Many find meetings the best way to go....they've been to IOP...inpatient rehab....without success. Then they step into the rooms....find a sponsor and work the steps...they achieve long term sobriety. My opinion is that you get out of it what you put into it....whatever the recovery method/program.

I understand what you are saying about an IOP being the better of the two. I guess the advantage of an IOP vs. meetings is that fact that they give random UA's ....nothing like a good ole drug test to keep an addict accountable. You also have the advantage of professionals who can provide individual therapy.....not to mention professional's who can diagnose and treat underlying or untreated mental illnesses...which btw the majority of addicts suffer from....and have used substances to self-medicate. I have done both and for me I've had continued success with IOP's. That does not mean its the better of the two for your son.....I guess it's really hard to know for sure which one is best for your son.

I do hope that whichever one you choose helps and your son can continue a solid recovery.

Best wishes!