New kid on the block :)

Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New kid on the block :)

HI everyone, I'm new here and I'd just like to ask a couple of questions about my ex-boyfriend/goodfriend/colleague's recovery (all the same person!). He's been clean for a couple of months now after a relapse and has finally started to attend NA meetings. He's doing really well and I'm so proud of him. We've been on a long journey this past year when we began our relationship when he was in the throes of his addiction to meth. He dumped me 4 months after, and I refused to be friends with him whilst he was using as I felt he was asking me to watch him die and didn't want to see that happen. He finally decided to get better, and after a lot of hard work our friendship is going well now. I'm really pleased that he is enjoying going to meetings (not his first round at this either BTW, he's been through this a number of times already) and meeting people there. He claims that I don't understand any of what he is going through, which I know I never totally will but I do try my best. I feel that I am pretty well versed in this whole thing, given that I come from a family with addiction problems, and all I have done over the past year is research all that I can about it (hence, what brought me here) He is very dismissive of me when I ask questions, suggest ideas, talk about anything to do with recovery, which makes me feel a bit pushed out. I know it's his journey, and he needs to concentrate on all this, but my questions are:

What can I do/say to be supportive of his recovery without him pushing me aside? I am more than happy to not drink around him, and don't keep alcohol in my house at all, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I am thinking of going to Nar-Anon meetings, but I'm unsure how he would feel about me doing so? We're not together, so I think he would feel that I was wasting my time. Could anyone from the addict side tell me how they would have felt?

Also, Nar-Anon meetings seem to only take place in my city once a month, is that a normal frequency?

I know this post may seem selfish of me since I am the one feeling cast aside, but I just want to be doing all that I can to help.

Thanks