My mind will not stop!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mind will not stop!

I hope I don't sound pathetic...

My mind is chaotic and crazy, won't settle.

AB came back for two days, had to sort out a place to go. Left last night, no contact since then.

I did not sleep well last night and felt physically sick from the distress. Managed to wake up for work this morning but left within a few hours, had to cry.

Nobody at work knows about this because I didn't tell them about getting back with AB a year ago, too ashamed. Also, they are not very tolerant people, can in fact be outright mean sometimes. Wouldn't trust them with this!

I really don't know what to do with myself. Should I call in sick for the next couple of days?

I would like to hear other peoples experience of this. Would so appreciate some help
Old 02-04-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stress like that can be downright debilitating.

In my case, even though I'd like to just curl up in a ball and call in sick, I've found that getting out into the world, and getting involved with other things, and not dwelling is the best way to get over stress and anxiety, and shift the focus.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks DoubleBarrel. I'm so grateful for a response so soon.

I agree and would rather not curl into a ball but feel as though I need a break. Only if I promise myself not to make a habit of it.

Peace x
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you take this break, I hope you do something kind for yourself. Who do you have in your life that is YOUR support system? Seek them out. If you don't have that find a meeting to go to. Don't just sit and cry.

You are not a hotel. You are not obligated to let him back in while he sorts out what he is doing next. Why cause this for yourself.

NO is a complete sentence.

Take care of yourself!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dealing with an addicted loved one can cause a whole series of responses from those who love them. You've described some of those symptoms.

As hard as it may be....refocusing all of that mind energy onto yourself will help. It's difficult to do that in a vacuum. I found that isolating myself simply allowed me to focus all of my thought processes and energy on the addict and my own despair. And that wasn't healthy or productive.

Whatever you need to do to refocus your energies toward making you feel better is important and, speaking for myself, I couldn't do that without help. I found a good therapist and began going to meetings with people who had successfully managed to find peace whether the addict in their life was in recovery or not. My well being no longer hinges on what my addicted loved one is doing.

Take care of you.

gentle hugs
ke