Addict Parent=Addict children?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addict Parent=Addict children?

OK.. so I'm curious. I know that addiction is in your DNA.. however, does anyone know the statistics of addict children growing up with an addict parent vs. removing the addict parent from their lives at an early age? I know you can not control the addict or the children for that matter.. Are my babies destined to grow up and be like their AD? The what if's and how can I's are running wild.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

never forget Nature vs Nurture...and that not everyone lives up to their "genes". you're driving yourself nuts over stuff you cannot predict or control. what you CAN do is teach them about love, honesty, respect...encourage them to try new skills, sports, hobbies....praise them for who they are not what they do.

technically my daughter should have fallen into drugs and drinking...her dad and i were pretty good at that, alcoholism runs thru my family so much we were all given arm floaties at birth! but she was also anti-both....when i got sober in '87 i took her to many meetings with me, she was 4. all these years later i think she may have consumed a total of one Mike's Hard Lemonade by now and that took her a while!

don't fret mom....stay in today and do it well.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My grandparents had 8 children. None of them have ever touched alcohol or drugs despite my grandfather being a raging alcoholic. My XABFs dad was an alcoholic and in watching the interactions between my X and his family I believe that his alcoholism was definitely learned in the family system and strongly reinforced by his college experience. His verbally abusive behaviors are also exactly what his dad used to do, According to his mom anyway. I know that this isn't scientific just what I've noticed.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think about that a lot.Is my daughter going to be an addict like her dad?
Or a big codie like myself?

When she is really bossy and want everything her way I think I might be leading her
towards addiction. When she is too concerned about others (instead of congratulating myself for having a very empathic child) I worry she might be a codependent already.

I don't have any answers except working on my own issues and providing my daughter with play therapy. I don't know that it's enough but right now that's the best I can do.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is something I worry about also, but I have found a lot of relief in doing some research on the topic. There is still a lot unknown about DNA and addiction, but what I have found in almost everything I read is that a biological predisposition is only one factor... there are many others factors and we can influence these as our kids grow.

I have found it very helpful to read from sites like National Institute of Drug Abuse, and Partnership Drug Free. They both are geared towards families, parents, teachers to help identify warning signs, and prevent addiction. For example, NIDA explains it as there being Risk Factors and Protective Factors. They put a lot of emphasis on family bonding, communication, defining stress points for kids.. all of these things so we can recognize signs early, get outside help through therapy, etc.

Here are a couple links Ive found helpful:
http://theparenttoolkit.org/topic/age-by-age-advice
Prevention Principles | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dr. Drew Pinsky says its 50/50
Either you are....or you are not

Whether one or both or neither parents are addicts does not raise or lower the chances.
And some theories say that it can go back a generation to grandparents.

Genetic predisposition + opportunity = addiction

The majority of kids start experimenting with alcohol and drugs in high school or college.
If not taught/informed/discussed before the opportunity....they don't know what can happen, how their body could react differently than non addicts.
Early education and enlightement is the recommendation.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Okay - in my opinion only - so take it for what it's worth -

Addiction in some can be self medicating subtle sensory disorders. Watching a parent drink or use pills to medicate can be a learned behavior.

I personally, have always been anti-social. This is how I am. I used drugs to help me fit in. Then I used them for fun. Then I used them because I was addicted. This is just one story out of hundred. I think it's complex and different for everyone which is why there isn't a cure.