Can The Lord Really Change Him?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"Could The Lord really have changed him? Granted that it's only been several months since his last relapse, could him getting closer to The Lord prevent him from another relapse? Is that possible? "

yes, but it involves more than that.
faith without works is dead.

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Silentlove, I have to agree with what zozo, chino, and needingabreak said. It is possible to turn your power over to your Higher Power and let him help you through your recovery. I've done this myself. I believe it was my Higher Power that led me towards my recovery and has given me strength to get through this so far. I also believe in free will and that the person has to make the choices as well as do the work. I also agree that everyone smiles in pics and I doubt you could judge a person's recovery through their Facebook page. I just wanted to add that since you were engaged you probably got to know him pretty well. You would most likely know if he was the type of person who could and would be able to give his power up to God. I guess people can change but most who knew me from the past knows that I'm a person who believes in God and has a lot of faith in Him. I think you already know (so won't elaborate) what you should do to keep yourself happy, healthy and moving forward.

CleaninLI,

The reason why I ask if it's possible is because he grew up in a Christian family where everything was Christian based. He was very involved in church before we even met so that's why it makes me wonder how he could fall off the wagon. I mean, I knew there were other factors involved such as his cousins enabling him to drink (oh yeah, he's also an alcoholic). I personally don't think he can give up his power to The Lord because he always wants to be in control. Although he grew up in a Christian home, his values and actions conflict each other. Sometimes he still questions whether The Lord even exists. In regards to the smiling in pictures, he's told me before that no matter how miserable his life is, he's never going to show that. I feel like it's all a facade.

How many days are you sober? I'm glad to hear that The Lord has guided you in your recovery!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentLove View Post
CleaninLI,

The reason why I ask if it's possible is because he grew up in a Christian family where everything was Christian based. He was very involved in church before we even met so that's why it makes me wonder how he could fall off the wagon. I mean, I knew there were other factors involved such as his cousins enabling him to drink (oh yeah, he's also an alcoholic). I personally don't think he can give up his power to The Lord because he always wants to be in control. Although he grew up in a Christian home, his values and actions conflict each other. Sometimes he still questions whether The Lord even exists. In regards to the smiling in pictures, he's told me before that no matter how miserable his life is, he's never going to show that. I feel like it's all a facade.

How many days are you sober? I'm glad to hear that The Lord has guided you in your recovery!
Fact - it IS possible that someone who grew up in a family and home founded on Christian faith, Christian principals, CAN and DO "fall off the wagon"...
I have been sober 5 years now, by God's grace. He DID change me... although it took me humbling myself to Him. My AH on the other hand, who was not raised in the Christian faith, also has experienced that same freedom when I did... In fact, it seemed to come easier for him back then. Now, however, he struggles with faith, with the person of God... and God's ability to love, forgive and accept him in his current condition.
I cannot believe that a person can just "get God" and get sober... but God enables EVERYONE who submits to Him the opportunity for freedom.

For me... I serve a God of Second Chances... and I know so many more who live in that reality every day... sober, happy, and free.

God is not a magic lamp to grant us wishes... and He is not going to push Himself on anyone.
What He is, is LOVE... and I know that as long as I walk in that LOVE, trust in that LOVE and believe that all things are possible because of that LOVE, then I am free. I realize that I may have lived outside of His will for me at times, but I never lived outside of His LOVE for me.
I am also free to turn the other way... although, now that I've experienced true LOVE... I never want to waste another day outside of that LOVE, nor outside of His will for me.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

recovery looks like recovery... in scriptural words... how is the fruit looking? peace, patience, joy, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control.

not using doesn't automatically mean recovery. It is these personality changes that make recovery look like recovery.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think the Lord can do anything. Sometimes miracles happen, change happens and we do nothing but feel it inside and respond. Other times the Lord brings people into our lives that can help us and in return he asks us to also help ourselves. Sometimes he works slowly and very quietly and we cant hear what he is saying. He whispers for us to quiet our own minds and we will hear him. But where is the Lord in so many worldly problems? He also lets us use our free will, and if by chance our paths do not cross with the right people, places, opportunities then ?

It almost sounds like your ex is out of what was his normal environment? You said he was away? Being away from the pressures of his life may be responsible for a change of attitude, behavior. My husband has been working on his recovery for months now, and then we went away before Christmas for a month vacation just the two of us. He was feeling better, so much better and relaxed. Now we are home and he is dealing with life again with work, family, friends, coworkers, all these things and he is having a hard time emotionally, spiritually. I think all of this is like a big wave sort of, peaks and valleys for a long time.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I will not give into the urge to look anymore. It doesn't serve me any good. I guess I just wanted to see him really hit rock bottom so he can turn his life around and realize how terrible he's made others in his life feel. I guess I will leave that up to time. Eventually he will feel that. If not then I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore.
I think others have provided some great insight to your questions.

Sometimes.....in life.....for more reasons than just addiction......we let people go and move on with our own lives.....wish them the best or pray for them......and live our own lives to the best of our ability. And that's ok.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Silentlove,

That's why I wrote that. Because I figured you knew him pretty well. His personality. If he was the type to have strong faith. Things like that. You can pretty much tell if a person would be able to give-up their power and trust to God. In your posts you didn't seem too convinced that it could happen. They say it a lot here on the forum about believing your gut feeling...it's usually right. So if your gut feeling tells you it's not possible, then I'd believe that over Facebook.

Oh, btw thank you! It will be a year in February.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yesss The Lord can do anything with our cooperation.