Guess who??

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guess who??

OMG, I should be flogged for not popping in long before this. In my defense, at this age, 73, and raising a 6-year old, I barely have time to play bingo anymore!! LOL

Just want all to know I am still thinking and praying for every person here who has been touched by 'DRUGS!" I pray for their love ones, and for them to finally learn how to "let go!" I did it, but man did it take a long time for me to learn. The good part of finally letting go, is when you realize that the "light at the end of the tunnel" is your recovery and not a train!!

My son is now 51 years old, married again, and clean for over 3 years. Happy, productive, and responsible!

For all those who despair and think it will never happen, remember me and the years I wasted trying to "fix" him! When I finally "let go" he got well!

Lesson learned.

Hugs, Devastated

p.s. Ann, I hope you're not mad at your "separated at birth" sister. LOL
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks devastated for sharing your happy ending! Not only do you give the rest of us hope, you also show that letting go allows the drug addict to help themselves. So glad things have worked out well for your son and your family.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow - three years - that's wonderful!! And you sound fantastic too, Dev! Thanks for checking in, but please don't think you can slip back out again without a picture or two of your precious great granddaughter! She's such a lucky girl to have you and Mr. D!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Devastated, will you please call my parents and tell them:

For all those who despair and think it will never happen, remember me and the years I wasted trying to "fix" him! When I finally "let go" he got well!

Love,

Pam.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well look who the warden on speed dial dragged in!!!

Dev, I could never ever be mad at you, you are my very favourite crazy lady who plans very special prison weddings and I just never know when I might have an event you could plan for me. I mean what other Event Planner has Prison Weddings (complete with striped outfits and stiletto boots) on their resume...you could be rich, I tell ya, rich!

I am so happy for you and Mr. Dev and most of all your son that he has found sobriety and held on to it. That news just made my heart smile....or maybe it was gas, at my age ya just can't tell.

I would love to see a picture of your darling princess great-granddaughter. Such a blessing for her to have your love and care and Mr. Dev's fine cooking.

I am running through here tonight and may be on the road tomorrow but I had to stop and wave hello and throw you a big hug on the way by.

Love you lots, hugs to Mr. Dev from the foxy northern lady.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Great to see you here Dev !!! So happy for you & thanks so much for sharing that great update with us. (((((HUGS)))))
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I absolutely love your avatar! Glad things are going well!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Guys:

Gosh, were do I begin. First of all my baby is absolutely a beauty!! She is 6 years old now and in the first grade. OMG, kindergarten was a real challenge for me! I guess the teacher thought I was just an ordinary ggrandmother!! She always wanted volunteers!! I don't volunteer! One day she caught up with me and in front of all the young, sweet, moms she actually tried to embarrass me! LOL She said, "I don't have your name on my volunteer classroom Mom" I said, "I know" She said, "why not?" I replied, "because I don't volunteer!" She said, "oh please! I have many grandmothers who volunteer!" To which I replied, "well that's great then, you don't need me! Incidentally, I am not a grandmother, I am a great-grandmother, one who doesn't volunteer for anything except free lunch!

The reason I didn't volunteer at that time is she had 26 kids and insisted on 4 mom-volunteers each day! Forget that, what would she do?? LOL This went on for about 2 weeks. Baby kept coming home crying, and saying she didn't want to go back. I decided to volunteer to see what was going on.

That same day I marched to the principal's office and demanded she move my child. The principal is 38 and thought she could intimidate me! I told her this teacher is not doing her job. She is terrible with the children, she sits and reads while the mom's are teaching. The only time she raises her head is to yell at the children. Principal said, "well she's new, we must give her a chance!" "Fine, give her a chance without my ggrandaughter in her class!" She said "NO!" Well, then I had to explain to her that this was not my first rodeo, and in the end I will win!

And I did! That day she was moved! Several people thought I was over-protective and didn't agree. Few weeks later, there was a line at the principal's office trying to remove their child! At the end of the season she was let go!! WHY?

This year one of the mom's came to me and asked "do you think this teacher is ok??" I said, yes, she said "OK, I told my husband if you didn't like her, I'm moving my child!

Hopeful4: Ann did my avatar! She's my mentor, my savior, my partner in crime! LOL
NinaKay: Nice to hear from you too. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Raider: I will call them, but they probably won't want to hear what I have to say.
Greeteachday: Hello!! Nice to hear your voice!! LOL
Needingabreak: Keep the faith, it will happen. Remember when you're worrying, you're not praying; and when yourpraying you're not worrying!

Hugs, Dev
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh Dev, you still keep me laughing. From putting the warden on speed dial to directing traffic at the principal's office...there is just no messing with you.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, dear Dev, it's SO great to see you back!! I still remember the prison wedding, you having the warden on speed dial, and other wonderful stories.

You, Ann and others taught me that codie recovery could be fun, we could laugh at ourselves and the crazy things we did.

My codie-ness led to my addiction (can't fix them? JOIN them - stupid move). If it weren't for you and others, I wouldn't be coming up on 7 years clean soon.

I bet little Miss Dev is absolutely beautiful, and I have no doubt you and Mr. Dev are blessings in her life. Love to hear the good news on your son.

You really must check in more often....you bring a smile to my face, and you KNOW it's all about me

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Impurrfect:

Thanks for missing me! I missed you all too. Just so busy all the time. This homework is killing me! Shoot, won't be long before I'm going to have to hire a tutor. Do you believe that they are learning verbs, adverbs, nouns, etc. in the first grade? I'm having a time just remember long "a" sounds. LOL

Wow, big hugs and accolates to you for almost 7 years! I am so proud of you!! You are a shinning example of what we all want to be when we grow up! Good for you!! I don't think we can take credit for that though. The credit belongs to you!! It is hard work. Ask me, I can't even stay on a diet for more than one hour! LOL

Anyway, I am going to try and post a photo if I could only remember how. LOL

So stayed tuned ok?

Hugs, Dev
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to see you back! You and Ann have such wonderful banter about "the good ol' days". Whoda thunk they would have been called that!?!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes, the good old days were like the blind leading the blind. I'd say something for Dev, she'd say something for me, then thank me for helping her and I'd say "Hey, wait a minute, YOU are supposed to be helping ME".

Somehow we made it through those dark days, I believe laughter really IS the best medicine because we laughed so hard it hurt.

Now before I go all gushy here, Dev send me this picture of her lovely great grand daughter to post. This darling girl has grown up on SR, with all of us cheering her along. She is so blessed to have Dev's love and care, and I know Dev is blessed to have her. God works in mysterious ways and this is one of those gifts that just appears when you're not looking.

Dev, please give the little princess a big hug from her Aunty Ann.

Last edited by Ann; 02-08-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Is she beautiful or what!?!?!? She's beautiful and I can't believe how much she's grown.

I could be depressed at how much older it makes ME to see HER in the first grade, or I could be grateful for such a blessing. I'll take grateful for tonight

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann for posting that photo for me.

Yes, she has grown like a weed (bad example) I mean like a tree!!! LOL

God does work in mysterious ways. I was so lonely when we first moved here and I would go around all day saying, "I wish I had a child to take care of!" OMG, from my lips to God's ears. Obviously He didn't hear me wish for the lottery numbers! Then the call came.

I know what God was thinking. He was thinking I'm going to keep sending these children until she gets it right! Man, do I know how to raise a child now! I really am consistant, I make her face all her own mistakes, and if she is naughty and I promise her the naughty chair, I make sure I follow through. I don't care if it's 10 hours later, I always remember. In fact, soon as we get home she'll say, "so I guess I have to go directly to the naughty chair huh?"

So, Ann, should I share my doctor's visit with the group? LOL I will tell you one more thing. At my last doctor's visit she asked me if I was ready to do something about my hearing. I replied, "Oh, but I already have!" She was thrilled, and said, "Great, what have you done?" I said, "I'm learning to read lips!" You got to have a sense of humor, right?

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes Dev, do share the "other" doctor story, I laughed so hard I had to share it with Mr. Ann who was looking at me as if I'd lost my marbles.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok, Ann, I'm going to risk losing my reputation here but am going to tell the story anyway. Shoot at this age, I need to take a few risks! LOL

OK, I went to the doctors for my yearly physical. There I was in my gown, and nothing else, and the doctor (she) out of nowhere says, "are you sexually active?" WHAT! I've never been asked that before!!! I was caught just a bit off guard with that question, so I thought well if you have the nerve to ask me a question like that at age 74, I've got the nerve to answer it. So I did!
I said, "only when I need money!"

Wow, she was out of questions after that!

When I was about 30 years old, I went to a new gynocologist, and while filling out the new papers, the nurse asked me if I had an IUD? I didn't hesitate at all, I reached into my purse and handed her my drivers license. She was stunned! I couldn't figure out why. Then she said, "no I said and IUD!" to which I replied, "sorry, I only have a California drivers license!"

So what would I know about IUD's.

I'll bet I was the topic of conversation at the dinner table that night! LOL

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was caught just a bit off guard with that question, so I thought well if you have the nerve to ask me a question like that at age 74, I've got the nerve to answer it. So I did!
I said, "only when I need money!"
I wish I was a fly on the wall when she told that story at dinner

You are priceless, Dev