What is your experience with 30 day rehab?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is your experience with 30 day rehab?

I think my AS would benefit from an inpatient rehab if he chooses to do it which he has agreed to. The thing is he was assessed for one sponsored by our county and they said he has a binge drug problem. He can be sober for periods of time but turns to drugs and binges when he gets stressed. So they didn't accept him for inpatient but rather for their outpatient program. It seems like their 30 day program is mostly to detox and then do their outpatient program as a follow up. Is this true of all 30 day rehab programs? The reason I ask is because he wouldn't need the detox part.

I think he is in a bad situation with his current girlfriend and if he could just get away for even a month and just contemplate and think about only himself and his situation that it would benefit him. The intense counseling would be great. If he could just have some time away from all of us to concentrate on HIM it could help him. Maybe not but worth a shot at least.

He is going to look into private places because he does have medical insurance (as long as he stays with his girlfriend as she has it and they are domestic partners) but I was just wondering what everyone's experience with rehab is as I have not known anyone in person to ask about their actual experiences.

A counselor we saw for US and how to deal with him suggested it and a sober living house afterwards.

I'm not sure what we should expect. I know I will find out the details on Monday when he will check but I'd like to know now, lol.

Thanks, Kari
Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its a waste of money imo... the salvation army and teen challenge are more rounded, longer, and free. 30 days is better than none though!

30 days just isn't a very long time. The first year of recovery is so fragile... its nice to be in rehab for as much of it as possible. The SA does 6 months, and TC does 12 to 18 months. The longer the rehab stay, the better the prognosis. Well...at least for my husband and I.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Detox is typically 3 - 5 days. 10 days in very severe cases. So I don't think the 30 day inpatient is detox.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Karisue may I ask how old he is? I think rehab WITH Sober living afterward is very helpful to some. You need to know that most people who go to rehab do relapse BUT they have learned the tools to stay sober and if they do relapse they can find help and get back to sobriety a bit faster IMO.
My son is 30. He did 30 days and then 30 sober living. I wish he had stayed longer. Younger boys tend to relapse easier because they are more immature (this is what I was told by a counselor). I think the longer they live in sober living the better chances they have.
My son's insurance paid for 30 day inpt, 30 day IOP (out patient). We had to pay a separate fee for the month at sober living. If he had chosen to stay, the rehab has meetings for free two nights a week he could have attended those as well as his naranon meetings. BTW he detoxed 2 days. If your son does not need it he will only be there one night. They have (or should have) a medical doctor who checks him out thoroughly.
He is clean so far with one relapse he quickly too charge of and stopped. He has several friends from rehab who are doing well, some who have relapsed as well.
They say very few get clean from rehab but they do teach them the tools to stay sober if they work the program do well. I researched because I was told some are not as good as others and as Lilly states above there are some great programs out there that are free, however, I am not sure how hard they are to get into nor waiting times. I wish you the best with your son.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingabreak View Post
Karisue may I ask how old he is? I think rehab WITH Sober living afterward is very helpful to some. You need to know that most people who go to rehab do relapse BUT they have learned the tools to stay sober and if they do relapse they can find help and get back to sobriety a bit faster IMO.
My son is 30. He did 30 days and then 30 sober living. I wish he had stayed longer. Younger boys tend to relapse easier because they are more immature (this is what I was told by a counselor). I think the longer they live in sober living the better chances they have.
My son's insurance paid for 30 day inpt, 30 day IOP (out patient). We had to pay a separate fee for the month at sober living. If he had chosen to stay, the rehab has meetings for free two nights a week he could have attended those as well as his naranon meetings. BTW he detoxed 2 days. If your son does not need it he will only be there one night. They have (or should have) a medical doctor who checks him out thoroughly.
He is clean so far with one relapse he quickly too charge of and stopped. He has several friends from rehab who are doing well, some who have relapsed as well.
They say very few get clean from rehab but they do teach them the tools to stay sober if they work the program do well. I researched because I was told some are not as good as others and as Lilly states above there are some great programs out there that are free, however, I am not sure how hard they are to get into nor waiting times. I wish you the best with your son.
He is 33.

Those are the kind of things I was wondering about. Kind of how it all worked.

Thank you so much!

Kari
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
Its a waste of money imo... the salvation army and teen challenge are more rounded, longer, and free. 30 days is better than none though!

30 days just isn't a very long time. The first year of recovery is so fragile... its nice to be in rehab for as much of it as possible. The SA does 6 months, and TC does 12 to 18 months. The longer the rehab stay, the better the prognosis. Well...at least for my husband and I.
I definitely want him to check out the Salvation Army program also. I also agree that 30 days is better than none especially for him. It seems it would be that short break that he might need.

Thanks for the info!

Kari
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the person...how long they used and how ready they are to quit.

My husband was so involved and grateful to have another chance at life. He went to rehab for the first time...over 60 days ago and is working his program with a sponsor. He is very thankful and feels great that he has some tools.

FYI: He was sober, off of meth for 12 years and relapsed for about 3 months this summer. He never had a program for his sobriety and when the opportunity came along...he relapsed. He had no tools or education about his addiction...he walked away (moved) 12 years ago because he was sick of using.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No rehab works unless they truly want it. I believe 30 days is too short. However, I also believe it does help them detox and it can help push them in the right frame of mind if they truly want it. Research the rehab. My AH told me when he went to 30 day rehab it was a mini vacation and all the junkies could not wait to get out to go use again and talked about it all the time. We would not have chosen that rehab had we done our research.

Hugs and prayers for you.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have paid loads of cash to inpatient treatment programs for myself. They are okay if you are serious. I mean, I did learn a lot, and I am sober today. There are many distractions and yes people in the programs will still be using. Its unavoidable. As for sober living? I went for 2 days and immediately checked myself out because people were getting high and drunk in the sober living house. This one guy even OD'd. Not only that, and I am guilty of it too but take away the drugs/alcohol from addicts and there is lots of sexual conduct going on between the patience. Its filthy.
I'm only speaking for myself but I went for 30 days and spent a good 6-7 days detoxing. After detox I didn't really retain much information as I was still in the hazy stages of sobriety. I did return back and stayed for another 60 days and learned much more.
Would I do it all over again? Most likely as it gave me an escape from work and such.
That being said, would a simple detox and 3 AA meetings per day work also? YES.
And just to note, the place I attended was one of the most highly recommended (and expensive) treatment facilities in the country.