'twas the night before Christmas

Old 12-24-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

'twas the night before Christmas

and all thru the house
not a creature was stirring...
well except me!
hank and the dogs are napping. renee and beau are due about 6pm. beef brisket in the oven, since 9am, low and slow and smellin' oh so divine! I've been a mad woman today getting the house ready....very festive! seems I've turned into my mother after all.......she was always over the top when it came to entertaining!

she also had a habit of not marking presents. first she'd call me over for a command performance and i'd face this HUGE mound of presents to wrap. actually got quite good at it! but she was a bit averse to TAGGING the presents, so often after gifts were unwrapped there was a bit of a gift exchange!!!! in keeping with the tradition, I picked out two types of wrapping paper, shiny somewhat slippery stuff with patterns that HAVE to be aligned all geometrically.

did I mention we were out of scotch tape?? so off to sam's the corner store, only HE is out of tape too, so I settled for clear packing tape! (there was a year I had to wrap the presents without tape, just strategically placed ribbons!). really brings out my inner OCD! the "boys" gifts are wrapped in stripes, the "girls" gifts in silvery paper with white and blue Christmas trees. I did tag a few but then said, ah heck, I GOT this! LOL

as we don't have a proper sit down dining table (just a tavern table with two stools and a bistro table with two tall chairs) I decided we'd be grown ups this year so I rented a table, 4 sturdy white resin chairs, a pretty red tablecloth and white linen napkins. and yes I looked up napkin folds = went with the crown fold! swanky. hauled out gramma's china. we have mismatched silverware and only 3 table knives.

snagged a couple small metallic santa ballons on sticks, jammed those in the outside flower barrels, sans flowers. found another box of red bows (I started the red bows back when renee was about 10 or so, and this year SHE put bows on HER tree!) and ran around putting more bows everywhere.
found this uber cool candles that change color as they burn.

finally my anxiety level is dropping. I just can't go IN to these things calmly...but the asparagus in marinating, waiting to be roasted; the last minute stuffing request by hank (he loves my stuffing - evidently I made it last year and it was quite the hit?) so the "stuffing muffins" are ready to pop in the oven. gotta get potatoes peeled, make gravy and heat up a can of corn (for renee's rather picky eater sweetie) and a can of green beans. and don't forget the Hawaiian rolls!

yes it's all good. I seriously wanted a nap but feared waking up all groggy or too late!!! so here I am.....content and excited. earlier hank ran a grabbed a load of wood so we can have a fire. we'll probably get roasted right out of the house!

wishing each of you a special holiday....with traditions old and new.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds beautiful!! Have a wonderful holiday.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas, Tess. I'm sure your home is festive and welcoming.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wow. good job! and great post. happy holidays
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas! Your beef brisket and stuffing sounds yummy!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Great job!! I turned over the Thanksgiving/Christmas duties to my oldest daughter a few years ago. She has a big fancy house so we all gather there. All...LOL! There are only 3 of us who have to make the 30 minute drive over there. Small family.

I sent my daughter money to buy the grandsons what they want. I had no idea what I bought them until they opened the package and my daughter nodded that I was the giver. The boys were properly excited and think G'ma Suki is the best ever!

We had barbeque for lunch. It was tres yummy. My daughter bought me a pair of Dallas Cowboys' slipper socks and a Dallas Cowboys coffee mug. I'm chagrined. What self-respecting person would drink out of a Cowboys mug after the season they've had???

My mom gave me a bottle of Oscar de la Renta perfume. That makes three bottles I have in reserve if I ever finish the one that is open.

Yes, I do like that emoticon.

My favorite gift was a small book about cats entitled...I Can Pee on This.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Anvil! Merry Christmas to you! What time do you want me to come over?
You are so organized, everything going smoothly, and what's not, you are able to improvise and make it look so easy, when I know you worked your a$$ off, to pull it off. My I tell you congratulations on a job so very well done?
Again, Happy Holidays and every day! TF
Old 12-25-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the "boys" gifts are wrapped in stripes, the "girls" gifts in silvery paper with white and blue Christmas trees.
Under my tree.....boys gifts are red......girls gold. Lol

Sounds like a lovely Christmas planned!!!!

I'm up early to begin cooking this morning. Prepared our traditional Christmas Eve Chili last night....yum. My dear niece came over to enjoy the meal and evening with us. Today I'll prepare a large breakfast casserole and serve it up for my early birds and then have stuff to munch on all throughout the day as people come and go. No formal meal this year.

Have a wonderful Christmas.......and really.....I'm close enough.......I could stop by for dinner!! Lol

Hugs
ke
Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what a wonderful tale of Christmas festivities! Here in sunny San Diego, its about 70 degrees and still in jammies with all the presents waiting for my teenagers to finally arise so we can dive in! Playing Christmas music and feeling THANKFUL for this wonderful day.
Merry Christmas one and all!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

we truly had the best time. dinner was a huge success...dan even commented that the brisket was like prime rib. oh so much good food. ok the asparagus could have been a little crispier....everybody loved their gifts....renee was especially touched by the framed photo from her trip to S. Africa when the delegation met and was photographed with Mr. Nelson Mandela. thanks hank for that awesome suggestion!!!

just got out of a nice hot soaky lavender Epsom salt bath. ahhhhh. nice invigorating scrub with my kelp and something loofa. double ahhhh. hank just made himself breakfast with his spankin' new Cuisinart sauté pan. myself i'm enjoying a wonderful Christmas NutriBlast shake with spinach, sun butter, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, almond milk and protein powder. quite enough indulgence, thanks!

renee got me a Couponizer (she's the coupon queen and I got HER a couponizer a Christmas or two ago). I've been trying rather feebly to get the hang of this coupon thing, so i'm going to make this my new hobby! everybody needs a hobby right? LOL it's a cool little gizmo, which i'm going to investigate and study up on today.

pretty close to perfect. damn that was a good shake.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Anvil, it sounds like a perfect Christmas to me, I am glad it went so well and it was fun having you share it here.

I was going to suggest that I come to your house for Christmas dinner next year...but I'm not so sure about the asparagus that was over cooked, I mean really! Harummph!

It does sound like a perfect feast and I'll bet the leftovers are even better.

We pooped out last night, meaning to go to the beach for dinner and instead ordered in Chinese and watched Christmas movies. Mr. Ann took an allergic reaction to MSG (who knew Chinese still used that stuff) and is puffy eyed today, but on the mend. My best friend and husband are coming for New Year so I am saving my culinary skills until then....or perhaps you could come visit and bring the food?

Happy New Year to you and Hank. May 2014 bring you both many blessings.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Had the most wonderful, peaceful, joyful Christmas ever!

Walked to a Christmas Eve candlelight service where a tenor with the most gorgeous voice sang O Holy Night

My daughter came later Christmas Eve and drove us (my arm is still in a sling from shoulder surgery) on Christmas to my son and DIL's house and I gave my 18 month old twin grandchildren a toy kitchen that talks, sings, does about everything and they are just starting to play pretend and were entranced. Couldn't make the shapes fit through the right holes, so stuck their toes, crayons, you name it through instead.... And giggled about it all...

All went to son's in-laws for Christmas dinner, and with 5 grandparents, my grandson and granddaughter and their 18 old month friend and his parents, and singing Christmas carols to the piano, the babies "danced" and clapped and climbed onto the piano and helped play... And LOTS of prime rib and EVEN MORE Chocolate desserts, the little ones toddling about like tiny elves on auto-pilot, how can life be more joyous?

I am blessed!

ShootingStar1