Son's friend from Rehab has died.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Son's friend from Rehab has died.

MY son called me very upset tonight telling me a kid from rehab and his sober living was found dead this morning. He was doing very well and was at sober living till yesterday. My son just talked to him last week. We met he and his dad during family weekend. We are all in shock. He was only 21, at an airport hotel waiting to go to Costa Rica with his dad for Christmas, an only child. We do not know the details but he may have been alone as his dad lives in another state and he may have been meeting his dad in Costa Rica. My son is completely devastated. I told him this is what happens when heroin addicts try to go back and do the same doses they were doing previous to rehab and its too much for their system. My son has always lived in a little bubble in our small sleepy town. He is very naive and this reality is hitting him hard. I explained this is addiction. This is why we have been so worried and scared. He never did heroin but sees now up front and close what drugs really do. Yes, they are not just fun and games! They KILL. They destroy. I am so heart broken for his family. Its bad enough but especially at Christmas time. Horrible. His father had told us his son had been at many rehabs and this one seemed to be working............and it was till he got out of the protective place of friends who are sober. Hug your kids if you can just a bit tighter tonight. Ours are still alive. I pray dear Lord for the family of this young man who had a whole life in front of him. bring them comfort and strength to get through these terrible days ahead.
I told my son this probably will not be the first. I hate this addiction. Have I not said it enough? Addiction sucks!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
This is awful. And you're right. This isn't the last.

Look after your son during these days ahead in however manner you feel is appropriate.

I'm so sorry.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still Standing

needingabreak, This is so sad. I'm so sorry for your son. I know he must be so upset. Maybe this will have a positive affect on him to make him really see the consequences of drug use. It would be wonderful if something really positive came out of this very traumatic loss. I'm very sad for his family. I'm been so close to this being a reality for my son more times than I can count. It's horrifying & devastating to say the least.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is so sad to hear. But if it turns your son away from
this soul-destroying plague............we can hope.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers for that dear man's family and to yours.
TT
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yet another young life....I'm with you....I do hate addiction. I love many addicts but I hate what addiction does to them. The young man and all who love him will be in my prayers today. Your son will also be in my prayers as addicts often have poor coping skills and he may need some prayers as well.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh how sad. What a terrible waste.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the prayers. My heart goes out to his family. I cannot imagine such pain and sorrow, especially this time of the year. This facility really helped and his dad said this was by far the best he had done. Some cannot handle being in the outside world. So sad.