Tempered Joy, but Joy nonetheless

Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tempered Joy, but Joy nonetheless

Tomorrow we leave to travel quite a distance to spend Christmas with my family and my RAD (twenty, former heroin user). I want to update those of you who've followed my recovery.

Some weeks ago, my RAD and her RABF left the shaky situation they were in and got a ride to my sister's house, where we are going for the holiday. After a week there and two weeks away in a nearby city, they returned to her place--ready to be "safe" as they called it. Through many amazing coincidences (HP clearly involved!), and lots of help from my sister, brother-in-law and my parents, they now both have jobs, she has her learner's permit, and they are thriving! In a few weeks, they will move to a small city nearby where her BF has a good job in his line of work, found as a result of a serendipitous connection with an NA sponsor who answered the helpline when I called...

None of this has happened without a lot of loving detachment, some tears, and my steady NarAnon/SR reminders to my family as they navigated this experience. My sister sent a picture of my daughter to me recently and I cried when I saw it--she is glowing and present, in her body, smiling.

I know from experience that things may slide, that they might struggle and relapse, and things may devolve again, but right now I am feeling true joy in my heart. I am focusing on being grateful and loving every second.

My heart goes out to all of us this time of year as we struggle our way through with our own issues and those of our beloved addicts. Thanks, SR friends, for all your support this past year!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas, Garden Mama
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand so well the guarded optimism. I pray that they continue on this positive path and that all of you will enjoy being together on Christmas.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enjoy the holidays.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Blessings to you and your family Garden Mama!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so good to hear success stories - even those still in their infancy! Brings hope to those of us still hoping!

Have a wonderful time!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love to hear positive recovery stories! Gives us hope.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Devastated.

The last night we were with my family, my AD blurted out that she's pregnant. 6 weeks. She waited and only told me because her 16 yo sister insisted...I just collapsed inside. Tears, no freaking out, just devastated. We left the next morning. She and her ABF have used again and admitted it to my sister, after being disappointed that I wasn't HAPPY for them, and where they are allowed to stay for ten more days. I suggested they come back to our city where there are more resources and got the "I don't have a home there" line, and a great hook about how I didn't let her live at home after rehab...I am so incredibly sad. I don't want a grandbaby who is the child of two addicts, one of whom has children he doesn't take care of. My eyes burn from spontaneous crying the whole drive home.

More will be revealed.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Such a great post to begin.....but still hopeful. They aren't ready but pray they soon are....a child is now involved.

I have my fears...all along w my AD and Now RAD. A child adds so much more....

Prayers on your way.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the relapse. I know how devastating this news is, especially with a baby on the way. However, there is always hope that your daughter will return to recovery.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gardenmama, you are in my prayers today. I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One thing that is so hard for all of us is not fearing the future. Enjoy their growth and health in this very moment, and yours too. You cannot change what tomorrow will bring, all you can do is pray. Do not let every joyful moment pass by out of fear.

Good for them and good for you!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand the heartbreak of relapse but that is not the end of their story....or yours.

Keep taking care of you and know that there are a whole lot of Mamas out here praying for you and your family.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

O dear...I must have missed the clincher. I am sorry. If she continues to use, I will say that you can tip off the hospital and they will test the baby at birth in the hospital. If the baby is positive they will not get to take the baby with them.

I am so sorry. This is out of your control. Do not let her manipulate you into thinking this is your fault because you did not let her come home after rehab. You have to maintain your boundaries, that is always the right thing to do. Addicts never ever want to accept any responsibility, it is who they have become.

Hugs and peace to you.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

GardenMama, I am broken hearted for you. I know the feeling of disappointment after you see steps in the right direction. Give it over to your HP, this is the place you will find peace. Be grateful for that fleeting time of your AD being clean and know that recovery can be a process of relapses as well. Will be thinking of you and your family in the coming days.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

sending you big hugs and prayers for your daughter to realize that her body now is not just hers. I know this is disappointing, but keep being in faith, that is all we have really.
Love
Teresa
Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

GardenMama, just keep them in your prayers and leave the rest to God.

We never know how this will all unfold, and it may end up being a blessing for all of you. Whatever happens, we're walking with you and handing out lots of hugs...and cheesecake...and prayers.

Hugs
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gardenmama saying prayers for you and your family. You never know what the future holds. I know how heart broken and scared you must feel but give it over to God. Sometimes what looms like something bad can turn into a blessing.Maybe this baby is what will keep her pursuing a path to recovery. Hugs to you.