Social Anxiety, GAD, and Heroin

Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social Anxiety, GAD, and Heroin

This may belong in another section, I don't know, but I'm wondering if anyone has an experiences with medication-resistant anxiety disorders and self-medication with heroin as a result. He knows it ultimately makes things worse but nothing else alleviates the anxiety. All I know is that he's been tried on the same SSRI off and on for the last three years. I don't know what else he's been on, but they've included atypical antipsychotics and other forms of antidepressants. I guess what I'm asking is, does this situation sound familiar to anyone else and what, if anything, worked in the end?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heroin addiction (or any addiction for that matter) can seem to be medication-resistant in my opinion (and it's just that....simply my opinion). This is something that is best left to a doctor/professional to examine. However, with many friends in recovery, I can say that they usually indicate that most began self-medicating something......until the self-medication didn't "work" anymore and became as anxiety inducing as their original issue.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not to oversimplify, but unless and until the ADDICT quits the DOPE, all other talk of what might work is MOOT. many addicts self medicate for a wide variety of reasons, but ultimately those just become excuses to rationalize and justify continued using. there are a host of methods and medications, therapy, heightened self care, even nutritional changes that can greatly diminish if not alleviate issues like anxiety, depression, etc. again, those are things the addict would have to have a desire to entertain and enact.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=AnvilheadII;4352697]not to oversimplify, but unless and until the ADDICT quits the DOPE, all other talk of what might work is MOOT. many addicts self medicate for a wide variety of reasons, but ultimately those just become excuses

My son had a bi-polar disorder growing up before the alcohol and drugs. The biggest problem he had was doctors and rehabs who refused to treat his mental illness. After close to a dozen rehabs and in and out of jails, why did they continue the same type of rehab? He self medicated with heroin and alcohol and the system screwed him.