Question

Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Does anyone know what happens to an addict after the mandatory 72 hour hold of a 5150?

My addict brother became totally delusional--he was talking to the walls and writing notes on his skin for the pathologist to read before the autopsy. My parents took him to the ER where he was restrained and then sent to a short term stay psych hospital. (3 to 7 days). He is now detoxing from:adderral (sp?), methadone, xanax, nitrous, and marijuana.

My question is: What happens next? (He is 40 years old and has not commited a crime. Everything he was using is legal and prescribed.)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They will more than likely have some sort of discharge plan. Not sure how much info they will give you as he's an adult and has to give permission per law.

I'd imagine they will release him. You all need to figure out what you are willing to do to help and not enable your brother. What boundaries are set? Where was he living?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding..

My brother was living with my mother who is a massive enabler and extreme codependent. I have told her that I don't think he will ever get sober living with her but I do not think she has the strength to force him to leave.

I am praying he will agree to a rehab program that parents are willing to pay for if it isn't covered by insurance. That will at least give my mom 30 days to come up with another living arrangement for him.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what possible directions this could take. The 72 hours is up tomorrow evening.

Thank you again for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I see...I have a mother in law that is an enable her 47 year old son.

I hope he attends rehab but the likelihood of him doing that when he has a cozy place to stay is slim....unless he is really sick of his life.

He is either going back home-if allowed.

Rehab......

Sober living home?

.....I am not sure that you have much say in the matter. It seems that your mom is controlling the boundaries here (lack of). If she can manage to give him the choice....rehab or sober living? It might help direct him.