Any thoughts on Changing Perspectives?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any thoughts on Changing Perspectives?

I ran across some notes from the very first Al-anon meeting I chaired about 6 months ago. I was SO scared! I like to write things out so I don’t lose my train of thought due to nerves. The topic I was given was “perspective”. I thought I’d share it here because I’d love to hear how YOUR perspective has changed since seeking help for yourself.

I started the meeting with the dictionary’s definition of Perspective: A particular evaluation of a situation or facts, especially from one person’s point of view. A measured or objective assessment of a situation, giving all aspects their comparative importance.

I told the group I wanted to talk about “Changed Perspectives”…how mine had changed since joining Al-Anon and soberrecovery.com (thanks peeps!!). Of course I noted I felt my situation was “unique” and how I had previously been very self-protective and didn’t want anyone to know about my son’s addiction. I felt I would be judged for it. I told them I felt I needed to keep up a façade.

Here is what I wrote as my “overview” for the meeting:

To me perspective is like a theatrical set where the view changes based upon a particular role or vantage point. The audience sees everything as beautiful and perfect, expertly choreographed, not a detail out of place. Everyone has mastered their parts and the show must go on exactly as “The Director” (that’s us!!!) means for it to be seen. It is what we project outwards.

However, from behind the set….everything is in complete disarray. Things are pieced together with scraps of wood, string, duct tape, glue sticks and whatever else we think may work. Everyone’s wearing WAY too much make up and just look weird. They’re muttering lines to themselves and could appear crazed. The individuals with the “behind the scenes” perspective are painfully aware if one simple piece of the “creation” were to be over-stressed or break loose or come undone the whole set has the potential to come crashing down. Everyone would be running and screaming from the theater and naturally there would be fire involved, cuz that always makes for a better ending!

The Moral of my story is that while we don’t have the ability to write the finale of our particular production…we do have the ability to build our own supporting cast. With solid tools and the right materials we can build a secure foundation so regardless of which view we are presenting, it’s good, it’s solid, and it will no longer fall apart if some nincompoop bumps into it.

I then referred them to a reading in either “Courage to Change” or “Just for Today”…it says Page 268, September 24th. I don’t know which one of my daily readers I had with me that night. I know I felt much differently about chairing once I heard everyone elses thoughts on the topic. I now chair every other month or so.

So…how do you see things differently now? What are some things you thought to be true, but based upon your changed perspective, now realize aren’t necessarily?

Talk to us!!