Update--and random question

Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update--and random question

Hi all. I left home and came to stay with my parents for awhile when my husband went into his second stint at rehab for heroin addiction. He completed his 28 day inpatient and is now in a very structured recovery house for 60 days.

I am going to be returning to WA State from my parent's house in MT to get my house back in order and go back to work full-time. I don't know yet what the future holds as far as my marriage. I will see how things go during and after the next two months.

My random question though: I will be taking my two adult cats on the plane and unfortunately have to put them in cargo. I am very, very anxious about this. Does anyone have any experience with flying with cats in cargo, suggestions for keeping them comfortable, etc?

Thanks and love to you all.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have a cat that has flown with us. We brought him home from Christmas with family one year. He was placed in cargo. His ticket was $100....hence his name "Benjamin". We had to have papers to fly with him so when we went to the vet to have him checked out they also gave us a tranquilizer to give him right before we handed him over in his cage. He was out of it when we first picked him up but on the shuttle bus to where we parked our car the cage "came alive" and you would have thought the tazmanian devil was inside. I was afraid to even open the cage! He's a great cat, glad we brought him home, and has always been extremely mellow. I would ask for tranquilizers from their vet, put a soft blanket in their cage and see them on the other end. They'll be fine! And very happy to see you!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dizzle, I've flown with my cat and totally understand your anxiety. He is my baby! But he actually did very well. Lizwig's idea about a sedative might help him keep calm--I always sedate my cat when he flies. It's also possible sometimes to fly with the cat in a carrier under the seat in front of you. Probably not both cats, but maybe one? You have to get a specific kind of carrier to do that, airlines seem to like the sherpa brand, but it might be worth checking into. Anyway, my cat came through it fine. In fact, he was much happier after flying than he has been after road trips, just went to sleep under the seat. Good luck!!