what would you do...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I have heard that when the strong opiate medications are used for severe pain that one gets little buzz or high off them. The meds mainly relieve the pain they were designed for.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update Twofish. So sorry your daughter had such a traumatic day coming to from the anesthesia. I would do whatever the doctor says. I cannot imagine having to worry about it all. God Bless you Twofish!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi, Another sleepless night, I feel like I'm sleeping, but in the middle of a nightmare, but I'm awake? I'm worried about everything, my family has been torn apart by addiction. I'm the only one that hasn't been in their place, except for my 14yr old. I worry about HIS oral surgery Friday, wisdom teeth extraction, routine most families have kids who's wisdom teeth are to be removed, but I KNOW they will give him narcotics for post op pain, Vic's or Percs, what if he gets addicted to them? These are some of the things I'm worried about. Things that a normal mom should not be concerned about. He doesn't have a drug problem yet and I don't want him to have one. I worry about the future of my two addicted children. I try to stay in the present, today, this second, but my mind is so tired and worried. since July, my world has been turned inside out. I think back to that hot July day when we found out that my girls, my beautiful gifts from God, preferred Heroin to sobriety , it feels like years have gone by, then it feels like only minutes. One AD is sober, one slip last week, she begged her sister for a pill cause she was upset and crying over not finding her boyfriend. Then she says it's not a relapse cause it wasn't Heroin? I think she should stay away from all pills, iv drugs and alcohol. It's no good for her. I'm rambling, I'm so tired. I see the Dr. at 9am, regular check up. He knows the situation I'm going thru, he is kind and takes his time with me, ha, just like SR does. I need to slow down, I need to relax. Gotta go, school is calling. TF
Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning TF. Just FYI ...I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and the dentist gave me 800mg ibuprofen. Maybe you could ask for that for your son. I understand your concern. What happened with the school? Is everything ok?

I'm feeling overwhelmed today too. Just breathe! Take a moment for yourself today. Even if it's just 5 mins to sit quiet and ground yourself again. (I'll try to do the same). Sending you peace!!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

TF...I am so sorry. Holding your hand and sending you huge hugs! I hope you can find some time to just relax even if it is just for a few mins. I cannot even imagine what you are going through. It is literally a second at a time.

Thinking of you and praying for you all!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

My youngest just had his wisdom teeth removed and I had your same concerns given that his brother is a recovering alcoholic. We discussed it. We talked about addiction and that these are the pills that many begin addictions with. I did end up filling the prescription- but gave him only one a few hours after surgery when the numbness was wearing off. He did fine the rest of the time on advil. He probably could have gone without any pain medication at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

sending prayers!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Awe, sorry to hear you are not sleeping well. Oh my goodness, you are takng care of everyone. Please take time for yourself hunny. I know it's not easy. Try not to worry about giving your son pain medication after his surgery. My son had extensive Dental surgery and I had no choice but to give him a narcotic pain reliever. I only had to give it for a couple days. After that he was fine without it. I doubt addiction could take hold so quickly. Remember, you are in control of it anyway.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Such a caring mom, twofish, and lovely the way you put things in words...

Glad that this surgery is over. It sounds excruciating...the pain and agree with the others as prescribed.

I would be like you angst over using the very thing (opiates) that caused such turmoil.

Prayers to you and yours.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I had 4 molars removed at his age and couldn't take the narcotic (it makes me vomit). I was fine without it. However, each person is different. You could express your concern to the dentist. He probably would need only a few pills if any. There is probably no reason for a 10 day bottle of pills.

I'm glad you are seeing your doctor. It is important for you to take care of you. The not sleeping is such a vicious cycle--the more you don't sleep, the harder it is to deal with stress. It helps me to meditate before bedtime--also hot chamomile tea.

Try to remember that the worrying doesn't change anything. All it does is cause stress. You could set aside a time for worrying each day. Each time you start to worry, say I'm going to worry about that at 7:30. Then, really do spend that 1/2 hour worrying about everything. Do it then only. It's a method that has worked for me. I also have tried the journaling. I also do breathing exercises (look them up online) and visualization. I am a chronic worrier (I swear it's in my genes). So, I understand. There are things that help!!

Try not to awful trip. It's one day or moment at a time. You and your family remain in my thoughts.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sometimes just one pill after the novacaine/anesthetic wears off is all that's needed. Tylenol over Advil as it causes more bleeding and harsh on the stomach. Big ole huge hugs to you my dear. One minute at a time. It's all we can handle sometimes.