what would you do...

Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Praying everything went well today Twofish! Been thinking of you.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Twofish, I would say she is clean and sober now. Taking methadone responsibly and being on pain killers for a major accident is still being clean and sober. I've seen the methadone program work for severe drug addicts and eventually tapered off successfully. Prayers go out for your daughters surgery.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

How is she? Hope you are hanging in there too! I know how long and hard these surgery days are!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
part time member

We are in similar situations. Bad accident, operations, pain killers. Try to keep control of them. We lost control and it made matters worse.

Prays for everyone!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

TF, I look forward to an update on how you and your family is doing. I pray that you all will be able to get some much needed rest tonight
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks Lily and all the rest of my SR family, We finally are home settled my child in her toasty warm bed, things went remarkably well, few complications and will explain when I get a few hours rest. I felt the love and prayers and support. Thank you. Talk to everyone soon, TF
Old 12-04-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Have been following your posts and thinking of you. You've been through such an enormously difficult time.

My AD daughter survived a life threatening illness a while back and several of the things your wrote about your own daughter's comments really brought that back to me.

I have background in the medical/oral surgery field and have seen many injuries of this kind resolve to a very positive outcome physically. I hope for you that the outcome is equally as positive for the rest.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

How are things going TF? I have been praying for all of you!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning TF! I've been following your thread but haven't posted much. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I really hope your daughter's surgery was a success and glad that she is back at home resting in her comfy bed. Looking forward to your update.

Take care my friend!

Amy
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning, almost afternoon to sR, my family who does truly understand. Ok, yesterday, of course the weather was awful, snow and serious fog. It took 3 hrs to get to a 2 hr destination.
We first saw the Dean of L&S college, got the schooling all figured out. Then off to the hospital we went. She was withdrawing from not having her Methadone, so she was cranking, sore and hurting. Got her IV, which was a nightmare, they gave her Versed, propafal and Ketamine(which they don't use much except in Opiate tolerant people, like my AD) the surgery took only 23 minutes, I was watching every minute, and everything went well until they woke her up. She was freaking out, screaming, hitting, kicking, freaking out. The hardware was removed and she could open her mouth, she was SCREAMING. Tis injured an already tight jaw. Then she became emotional, started crying and scratching at her face. She was confused, she didn't remember the surgery, woke up alone, cold, and in pain. She was embarrassed . She apologized to everyone. Dring this reaction, they gave her Ativan and Dilaudid. Being an addict is tough when you have surgery. So she is bleeding, having pain. They gave her oral Oxycodone 40mg. She finally settled down, but remained in pain. They took the IV out, we walked her around some and they released her to me. No pain meds were sent home. I have her PCP handle that. Imagine if your mouth were closed shut, tight for 3 weeks and then you open it and start screaming...that hurts. It was stiff. She slept restless all night. I gave her oxy. Every 4-5 hours. This should of went smoothly, but because the demon is demanding more and more opitates my addict child is suffering. Maybe what I witnessed yesterday was my AD hitting rock bottom. So I'm stuck, if I withhold the prescribed pain meds she suffers, if I keep her comfortable, I fed the addiction. Sould I just worry about the fracture and jaw pain and keep her comfortable, allow her to heal or with hold the meds and watch her suffer? As a nurse I vote to keep her medicated and comfortable, let her heal some more and then worry about the addiction. She is already on Methadone, so what does everyone think? Her teeth are more damaged than we thought, tons of reconstruction to do months down the road. So much to consider and think about, her addiction Drs. are allowing as much pain meds as needed. TF
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I think you should give her the pain meds as prescribed. No one deserves to be in severe pain after surgery.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I don't know. I wish I knew the answer. I agree with Upset...I would most likely give her the meds. She has serious pain that she does not deserve. What do the doctors say?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Upset, I'm sorry I had so many typos, but I'm exhausted, worried and just need to relax. Thank you for saying that, about giving her the pain meds as prescribed. Taking care of my gift, my child, hurting and suffering from addiction and from physical trauma from the accident, 3 short weeks ago. The Dr. told me after all this reaction from the anathesia that her injury now is in the top 1or 2 worst he has ever fixed or seen. He said it was an injury compared to a susicide attempt when the person puts the gun in their mouth and pulls the trigger. But, this absolutely wasn't a susicide attempt, but an accident with her moped on an icy road, during an unexpected snow storm coming back from a college class, she was only going 20mph. and she had her helmet on.
Let me take a moment to say during this winter weather, in the states and around the world where snow and ice stick around for months, please drive careful, be safe, slow down. Life is so precious and short, that accidents happen and people's lives are interrupted with injuries or perhaps even death. Thanks for hearing me out, it means the world to me that I may have prevented another senseless accident like the one my child had. TF
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Hopeful, The Drs., say don't hold back, she is already addicted to opiates. To keep her in horrible pain, would be cruel. The addiction will be dealt with once she is headed. The Methadone Clinic agrees. She was due to switch to Suboxone this week, way before the accident. She was tapering, was at 50mg of Methadone, to switch, she has to be at 30mg and in withdrawals. They have put this all on hold til she is healed enough to be off all extra opiates. Does that sound correct? TF.
Plus all narcotics are locked up in one of those secure black combo safes. I only know the combo.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

It probably could of been worse. At least she was being responsible riding with a helmet on. I know lots of young women wouldn't want to wear a helmet cause it messes with their hair.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twofish View Post
She is already on Methadone, so what does everyone think?
Follow the PCP's orders. None of us are more qualified than him/her.

I'm curious why you seem hesitant.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I give meds as prescribed. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Chino, The reason I hesitated is I didn't want the addiction to get worse. This world of addiction to me is new, only since July of this year. So that's why I asked everyone who may have experience, and tell me your story. That's all, just worried I'm doing her harm...TF
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

(((TF))) I know it's a fine line but you're not harming her. You both are doing the best you can with what you have.