SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Weed b gone...... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/313619-weed-b-gone.html)

gfwhoneverknew 11-15-2013 04:18 PM

Weed b gone......

Hi all! I erroneously posted this in the alcoholic forum. I've been gone a few mos from the site getting reaclamated to my bfs homecoming from a one yr sentence due in part tohis oxy addiction. First two mos were fine. Now he has a great job and gives me a substantial amount of his check even though he knows Itook care of this place(rent) alone. :) he dabbled in weed twice and said he was sick in stomach and gglad he didn't like It anymore. Well that didn't last. He's now smoking it everyday and I've said its something I won't accept. At first said its a part of him since ten yrs old! Now....actually says he's disappointed in himself and how he opeend those doors to drinx n weed. He said he knows he must quit or he won't ever b successful. He said he must give up both alcohol n weed. I NEVER said anything bout drinx. He did!well a week later still same thing. He did say he's puttin it off! Well my question to all is.....do u know of anyone quitting the weed habit by themselves?? Can it be done. Alone? Is it truley an addiction or can he control using weed? Should I be more sensitive andgive him lil more time to stop coldturkey in this case?? Thanksfor reading

Txhelp 11-16-2013 10:05 AM

Yes I have known others that have quit the weed habit by themselves....

The question is...does he want to?

AnvilheadII 11-16-2013 10:28 AM

so after being locked up for a YEAR within two months of releases he's doing drugs and alcohol again. evidently the year of incarceration didn't really TEACH him anything. he knew your boundaries and used anyway. it is up to YOU to uphold your own boundaries, not him.

gfwhoneverknew 11-18-2013 08:29 AM

Yes he does...few days good so far. Thx for ur replies

allforcnm 11-18-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by gfwhoneverknew (Post 4294115)
Well my question to all is.....do u know of anyone quitting the weed habit by themselves?? Can it be done. Alone? Is it truley an addiction or can he control using weed? Should I be more sensitive andgive him lil more time to stop coldturkey in this case?? Thanksfor reading

I think you will always hear debate on the use of weed. Some people can quit it on their own, others cant. I think what you have to look at is what kind of impact it has on you. One of the signs of addiction as I understand is continuing to use the substance despite negative consequences in a persons life. So if it is causing relationship issues for him, then that could be considered a negative consequence. Is it showing up in other areas of his life? You don't have to answer it here, but maybe think about it: work, money issues, family relations?