Interesting insight from my kid...

Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Interesting insight from my kid...

My kid called from Rehab to thank me for his care package and to catch up. He wanted to get some stuff of his chest that I guess he was working on. This isnt his first Rehab but for some reason he seems very receptive to his current treatment. We talked about his dad who is an active drug addict and how he has finally learned the value of a dollar and other small talk. He's not on board with the 12 step but does agree that there are some things about it he "gets", and leaves the rest. Im very proud of him and will support him until my last breath. Something he told me that resonated with him and now me, was the situation with his roomate. He told me that he shared with my son how he was forced to rehab the first time around by this parents when he got smoking pot, ONE TIME. So they ship him off, He starts to listen to the others share about how thier DOC made them feel (invincible, euphoric, ect..) and he told my son that it was those stories, in Rehab that were the catalysts for him to relapse, into heavier drug use once he got back home. Just something I have been pondering. Is it good to glorify the drug/drinking while in treatment?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Interesting question. What would your response be if I told you how AMAZING. How FREEING it is to leap off a cliff - soaring high into the beautiful sky, there is NOTHING like this feeling at all. Would you then jump off a cliff?

just askin'.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would have to say that the roommate was not ready to quit - that is why he heard those stories as a lure or temptation to continue using. I'll bet there were people there who heard the same stories which helped reinforce their determination to NOT use.

I would also think that those sharing their stories about feeling invincible, etc., were not necessarily glorifying their use but were perhaps just talking it out - maybe with some laughter as a catharsis in the same way we do at our Al-Anon meetings about some of the things that happen.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The folks in rehab refer to these as "war stories". In my sons rehab, it was a pattern, first the residents show up and brag about their time in jail, prison, the crimes they have done, the different times they almost overdosed and every other sickening part of the lifestyle. After 3-4 days, they start speaking the language of recovery. My son is truly unrecognizable to me after almost 4 months at his rehab but the FIRST time he did rehab he spent his time reminicsing of his "good old days" of using.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sounds like excuses to me. every person wants different things out of life, and all addicts use for different reasons. I have never wanted to try a drug because of war stories. My reasons are more to chase the "numb" as I call it.

hugs to you. I hope that your kiddo is doing well =]
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eve13 View Post
Hmmm. Interesting question. What would your response be if I told you how AMAZING. How FREEING it is to leap off a cliff - soaring high into the beautiful sky, there is NOTHING like this feeling at all. Would you then jump off a cliff?

just askin'.
================================================== ===
It's not the freefall that gets you (it's actually a lot of fun!).

The problem is that godawful mass of granite/dirt/magma/iron
that is inexorably rushing up to smash you.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
================================================== ===
It's not the freefall that gets you (it's actually a lot of fun!).

The problem is that godawful mass of granite/dirt/magma/iron
that is inexorably rushing up to smash you.
Vale, that's what I meant - the fall may be a rush but knowing what is coming to greet you is the problem. Thanks for clarifying
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My AH went to rehab for alcohol (I say it was a 30 day vacation for him) and he said the people there literally talked about as soon as they leave they would be going for their next fix. They were obsessed about it. He is not a drug abuser but if so he said it would have caused him major major problems.

The attorney I saw last week called rehab something along the lines of "hook up central" where you meet your next dealers/customers.

I think it is all in what rehab you are at and how strong you feel about being there. If you want to work rehab you will work the opportunity you are given no matter what. If you were forced there I feel it never does much good. Just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
My AH went to rehab for alcohol (I say it was a 30 day vacation for him) and he said the people there literally talked about as soon as they leave they would be going for their next fix. They were obsessed about it. He is not a drug abuser but if so he said it would have caused him major major problems.

The attorney I saw last week called rehab something along the lines of "hook up central" where you meet your next dealers/customers.

I think it is all in what rehab you are at and how strong you feel about being there. If you want to work rehab you will work the opportunity you are given no matter what. If you were forced there I feel it never does much good. Just my opinion.

I met people like that in my outpatient clinic. Rehab is like going to school. There are students who enjoy the opportunity to learn, and give it all they got, heart and soul. There are others who coast through on the bare minimum, and others who drop out or fail all of their classes.

I don't think there is any such thing as a bad rehab, or that any is better than any other. I think it matters on an individual basis.

I surrounded myself with ladies who wanted a better life, and who encouraged me to do well. I chose to avoid the "bad eggs" as I call them.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rehab is a toolbox.......it enables a craftsman.

(It doesn't MAKE one).
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love that analogy Vale
Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The issue with rehab is that everyone has different drugs that they favor. Some rehabbers are on their 5, 6 or 7th treatment. They know what to say to appear that they are working the program.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
I don't think there is any such thing as a bad rehab, or that any is better than any other. I think it matters on an individual basis.
I hate to disagree with that. My state sponsored rehab was shut down after too many deaths. My state and county also has a problem with it's correctional facilities. To the point the FBI came in -- twice.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
I hate to disagree with that. My state sponsored rehab was shut down after too many deaths. My state and county also has a problem with it's correctional facilities. To the point the FBI came in -- twice.
that is true. The Salvation Army here is crawling with bedbugs, and isn't exactly the cleanest place ever. I guess I should have said there is no bad program, just depends on if you work it.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like the saying....

"I can beat any man, in any land, at any game,
that he can name, for any amount, that he can count"

(Puggy Pierson?)

The gist of it is: If you WANT it bad enough.....you'll make do with a bedbug infested
Salvation Army cot using a 7th owner dog-eared 'big book'.

If you don't want it.....then an 8 week, $170,000 stay at a boutique rehab in Malibu
won't do it for you.

I learned early in life....NEVER stand between someone and something they want
MORE THAN ANYTHING......you WILL get steamrolled!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My son was once given a "charity" bed at a very upscale expensive 28-day program. He did very well there and after for a while. He liked rehabbing with the professionals and hard working Joe's instead of the typical convicts and homeless like at the other rehabs. Sleeping with bed bugs or eating less than the proper nutrition does help ones self esteem.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
My son was once given a "charity" bed at a very upscale expensive 28-day program. He did very well there and after for a while. He liked rehabbing with the professionals and hard working Joe's instead of the typical convicts and homeless like at the other rehabs. Sleeping with bed bugs or eating less than the proper nutrition does help ones self esteem.
I have to agree with you. My husband went to a rehab that was consistent with the lifestyle he was familiar with/comfortable in. I don't think he would have done well in an environment where he felt out of place, a different social structure, where he felt like he was being punished.... for needing treatment.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
I have to agree with you. My husband went to a rehab that was consistent with the lifestyle he was familiar with/comfortable in. I don't think he would have done well in an environment where he felt out of place, a different social structure, where he felt like he was being punished.... for needing treatment.
I have to agree with this statement. I would have too many resentments at a "posh" rehab, because I grew up in the hood. makes sense that it would go both ways
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

whats that saying? "it works if you work it"......to me that means recovery, not Rehabs. I personally beleive that addiction is a choice and no rehab in the world will get you out of the mess YOU created. its up to the individual. Vale is right, Rehab are tools but its on the addict to want it bad enough. I have a freind that said the day before he quit drinking and drugging, "Im done! Tomorrow is the beginning of my new life"....And just like that, NO rehab, no AA, NADA! I have mixed feelings on this but it's awesome to read all these different opinions.