off to rehab we go

Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

off to rehab we go

Well, my son has been here 1 week. Has been using everyday. I was quite surprised he admitted it to me. I am disappointed, and angry, but I now realize just how powerful this drug is and how deeply he is addicted. I think this is the best place for him. 45 days, which is way better than the 7 years which he is facing if he doesn't get his crap together. Everything he has been through, he still wants to be with his drug addicted girlfriend. Maybe if he hears it from someone else, an outsider, it will finally sink in. He knows this relationship is toxic and is slowly killing him, but he is blinded by something he sees in her, or maybe it's the drug causing him to view this horrible relationship through rose-colored glasses. Whatever it is, he now has 1 week detox and 45 days inpatient to get it together. Not sure if I will let him return to my home at this point, only time will tell. I will be working closely with his therapy team to determine what is best for him. I love him dearly and just want my son back...
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry it turned out this way, but if he truly wants to live a sober life, this is his best chance. The detox will get the drugs out of his system and from there, the rehab will work on the psychological issues.

At this point, don't worry about where he will go after rehab. Take this time to educate yourself on addiction. The way he handles the next 45 days will give you some insight on how seriously he is taking it. ((((HUGS)))) to you. I know this is hard on everyone.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm actually relieved that he is going to rehab. They are much more qualified to deal with this than I am. He seems happy to be going, just scared. He knows this is the only way he will get his life back. It is the first time since this mess started that he has actually talked about his future. He knows that if he continues on this self destructive path that he has no future. He's smart and has such potential but the drug has poisoned him and obscured his vision. I continue to pray that he beats this...I'm not ready to give up on him yet.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad he has taken the first step to get help! Perhaps now you can breathe for the next month and a half. I would encourage him to seek aftercare. 45 days is not a very long time to be in treatment.
hugs.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Take a deep breath and allow yourself the luxury of taking care of you now.

Have you tried any meetings? Maybe read Codependent No More? Whatever it takes, use this time to wrap yourself in support and recovery for yourself. It will serve you will to heal and in days to come.

Hugs from one mama's heart to another's.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am relieved to know that for 45 days, I can relax. I won't have to tiptoe upstairs to see if he's home or if he's breathing. I won't have to worry about him scoring the next fix. I won't have to search for the needles or pipes or straws. I can take a minute to just breathe. I can continue to educate myself and my family on this horrible addiction and the recovery process so we are prepared for what is to come. I can strengthen myself and heal my own wounds. I can humble myself and learn forgiveness. I can empower myself to fight my own demons. I appreciate each and every one of you and your advice and words of encouragement. I will continue to post, as this is my own self therapy. Thank you all!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ann is right - you need to take care of you.
That is the only control you have.
But I do hope that all goes well for your loved one - whether it be therapy, treatment, or whatever your child finds that will help....
b.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ejohn, this is not a good story yet I will share. My son was once ordered to inpatient rehab yet he refused. The mandatory sentence was 1-3 years. The judge ended up sending him home because the prisons are full. That was 12+ years ago and my son never changed. The court system seems more intimidating for us moms than our kids,
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, he made it to rehab without any difficulty. He has been sober for at least 1 week and made it through the difficult stage of detox. I pray he stays strong and is able to overcome the odds. He has an open mind and a positive attitude and he says he really wants to get sober. Please pray for my son as he goes through this process.
I have searched for NarAnon groups in our area and they are not here, so I will seek out AlAnon to help me be strong. Prayers and hugs to all.