Does weed cause slurred speech?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does weed cause slurred speech?

Just curious.

My husband tells me he has not drank any alcohol at all for a month now. But several times during that month I have noticed his speech was slurred. He tells me that it is from the weed. He IS smoking a lot of weed right now, but since his speech was only slurred on certain days I am guessing he has some alcohol hidden somewhere.

Not that it really matters, he is not sober either way. But I was just wondering.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been in your position and I strongly suspected my AH of lying. I can't tell you whether your husband is or isn't drinking but in my case I took to looking as my gut instinct was that he was also drinking and sure enough I found vodka hidden in his briefcase...sorry!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

I've smoked weed and been around plenty of potheads. I've never slurred my speech while being stoned nor has that ever been an in indicator to me that someone was high.

Sounds like BS mixed with booze to me!

Passion
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BookNerd View Post
Just curious.

My husband tells me he has not drank any alcohol at all for a month now. But several times during that month I have noticed his speech was slurred. He tells me that it is from the weed. He IS smoking a lot of weed right now, but since his speech was only slurred on certain days I am guessing he has some alcohol hidden somewhere.

Not that it really matters, he is not sober either way. But I was just wondering.

Maybe he was smoking synthetic weed aka spice. My ex fiance slurred a lot
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Booknerd, slurred speech, hummmm, uncontrollable laughing yes, forgetfulness, repeating yourself yes, but slurred speech? Sounds like a manipulation or excuse to me. I personally wouldn't believe it. Drugs are drugs. Sobriety means...if he's serious, let today be day one of sobriety. Best wishes and much luck! TF
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I live in a State where weed is legal and a lot of my friends smoke pot. Weed does not cause a slurred speech that I know of.
Not that it really matters, he is not sober either way
and that's the key. If he is an alcoholic in "recovery" he has no business smoking weed in the first place. It is far too easy for an addict to substitute one drug (alcohol) for another (weed).
Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I figured. It's okay though, when he told me he quit drinking I didn't get all excited or anything, I actually kind of expected him to slip up, we've been down this road before. I'm not upset. I just found it odd that when he drank this time, he was so adamant about denying it. So I was curious if it's really possible for weed to cause slurred speech. I should have known better than to doubt my own instincts on such matters.

And yes, I agree that a "recovering" alcoholic who smokes weed is really not recovering at all. It's sad to see someone who can't get through a whole day without some kind of drug. He insists that he doesn't need weed at all, he just enjoys the taste, but I know that's baloney. He used to say the same thing about beer. I hope he gets past this need for intoxication some day, but I am not holding my breath.