Back at Square 1!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Back at Square 1!

So..........for those who haven't read my previous posts, let me quickly summarise:
My RXABF moved out nearly 4 weeks ago now after just over 6 months of recovery (he is now at 7 months). He said he couldn't really deal with a relationship & deal with his own recovery too. I was devastated as it was completely out of the blue and since I had been the one to find meetings, support him and put up with his ups & downs, I felt like it was a kick in the teeth.

I joined this site a week ago and since then, I have began to realise that Im not going to get any gratitude for it, nor am I expecting it. I have learned that this seems to be a common behaviour for addicts in recovery and I was beginning to come to terms with it. I was all set to take the 'No Contact' approach & start on my own road to recovery but I bought him a van a few months ago so that he could work and earn money for his own independence and sanity (his idea, not mines). This hasn't happened yet so after seeking advice about the vehicle, I was advised to get it back & cut all contact. Then we started sending the odd text and he came up for the odd cup of tea, which I was fine with because I was straight in my head that we weren't getting back into a relationship or getting involved in eachothers recovery but then he came up and stayed lastnight.

Today, however, he came into my work and said he would pop up later as we needed to chat. I knew what this meant and sure enough it was exactly as I thought 'We really need to cut ties, sell the van & concentrate on ourselves'. I knew this anyway but, although Im not as hurt & devastated as I was when he moved out on 8th October, I do still feel quite down again!

I know it was a stupid thing to do but, like I said, I was straight in my head that I didn't want a relationship back but felt ok with the odd text or catch up over a cuppa. After all, he was a big part of my life & #I still love & care about him. Now I feel like Im back at square 1 & Im dreading going to sleep tonight to waken up with the realisation he's out of my life again.

Although I know I have to move on and I WANT to move on, I just wish the 'grieving' process was over & I was on my way back up (emotionally).

Just wanted to share how Im feeling rather than torture myself with it by keeping it in
Old 11-02-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its normal. It just takes time. Part of the stages of grief. The 5 Stages of Loss and Grief | Psych Central
Old 11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You were doing well with your own recovery until the contact recurred.

Selling the car is a good idea, you don't want to be responsible for somebody else's vehicle.

My thoughts are to cut you losses and keep moving ahead with your life.

Hugs
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing well....just a lapse and you are back on track again!

Not easy this detaching thing....keep on moving.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grief is a process, allow yourself time. Think of it that your spirit/soul/center of being has had something huge cut out, and there is an empty space now. That space needs time to heal. Be gentle with yourself -