Thank you!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I am new here but so thankful for a site like this! My daughter's fiance is addicted to prescription pain pills (I suspect he may have moved on to heroin) and we have been on such a roller coaster ride this year! My husband and I let him live in our home for several months but after not fulfilling his financial responsibilities, stealing from us, and a failed drug test, we asked him to leave. He currently has his own apartment (paid for by his head-in-the-sand father) where he lives by himself. He and my daughther have a beautiful, 3 month-old baby boy. He sees the baby, supervised, a couple times a week.

My daughter and I spent so many hours investigating his where-abouts, going through phone records, etc. It was ridiculous! Finally, we found a family support group and started attending meetings reguarly. Wow, were our eyes opened to how we let him control our lives!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you all for sharing your stories and advice/opinions. It really is so very helpful to newbies like me I truly empathize with each of you dealing with an addicted loved one. It is such a tough situation to go through!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you guys getting support....It takes awhile to get that their recovery is theirs or not. We can snoop and become a guard but really it's a waste of our energy and exhausting. All the while we are not living our lives.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You were wise to remove him from your home. Addiction is a progressive disease and will not get better anytime soon unless he finds recovery for himself. I am also glad the baby is supervised when he visits.

You and your daughter sound like you are on the right track, looking at how this has impacted you and what you need to do to regain your balance.

I'm glad you joined us. Take a read around, especially the sticky posts at the top of this forum and you will find a lot of helpful information.

Hugs
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both! I appreciate your support.