Was this a Prank or a Threat ? Little Scared

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Was this a Prank or a Threat ? Little Scared

Over the weekend, I went to leave my house and going down our drive, had to get out of the car to pick up this thing lying on the ground. It was the cardboard from a paper towel roll, at the end a regular light bulb had been attached and was covered completely in duct tape (black tape with skulls on it). The other end of the roll was a little crumpled looking. At first I thought it might be some kind of bomb of something but I already had it in my hands, and looked down inside and saw the light bulb was broken but no glass had escaped. There were no burn marks on the paper roll. I gently laid it off to the side and had to leave. Later I went online and found people make these up and shoot them from some type of gun? Sometimes they put chemicals inside and they can explode or light up, confused on that part. My first thought it was only kids playing pranks for Halloween, and I still want to believe this. But I'm afraid to mention it to anyone because I also worry it could be something one of those people (unknown people) my husband was hanging out with when he was on his drug run. Was it supposed to explode? Scare me? Some kind of threat with the skull on the tape? I cant figure out why it would be fun to shoot this off, I mean it could have broken a window or something, but it was too far from our house. If it was meant to explode, cause a fire?

I thought I should take it by the police station, but I already handled it, and I know stupid, I started tearing off the paper towel roll to get a better look at the bulb because there were these wires inside (and I think they came from the bulb, not rigged with wires, but I had to look). And then I mashed it all up thinking it was a kid’s prank. We have a security system, and nothing seemed to be out of order. I think it had to be fired from the street.

Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It could have been anyone really. I would ask your neighbors if they noticed anything, anyone hanging around that shouldn't have been. I would also maybe call the police just to see if they have had any complaints in your area of this sort of thing, that way you would know its kids doing Halloween pranks.

Im glad that you are ok though- what a weird thing to find.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also I think if someone was wanting to threaten you or your husband, I think they would have made sure you saw or heard the threat. Since you just found it laying in your driveway- It probably wasn't a threat. I at least hope not.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did it look like it could have been a flashlight you can make one with what you described...a cardboard tube, a lightbulb of any size, some batteries, something to conduct and you have a kids version of a flashlight.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

One way to look at it is this little decoration I've heard of, maybe what you found was a modified version of this:

For Halloween: Glow stick, paper towel roll(empty). Cut eyes in the paper towel cardboard roll. activate the glow stick and put it inside the roll, place in the bushes. Anyone walking by will see glowing eyes peering out at them from the bushes.

And it is the season for such things! BOO!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The glow stick sounds like a cute thing, this looked more like something nasty. The whole bulb was completely covered in black duct tape and no light would go through, wasn't an attempt at a flashlight but I read about that online and did look for batteries. I will go back to thinking it was only a kids prank, someone took the time to buy tape with skulls on it, cant think there would be a reason to do that if you wanted it to explode. I think my imagination has took a run on the wild side because I get scared thinking about some of the people he was associating with during that time.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My cousin used to smoke meth out of light bulbs. In her case the light bulbs had the very ends removed by where you would screw it into a lamp, I guess so you can put the drugs inside of the bulb. This was a long time ago and I didn't know what I was looking at so I didn't really study the details. I don't remember there being any tape on the light bulb, though.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bluechair, You only found one of these card board light bulb things? People who are the dangerous type, might have been more serious of scaring you? Did your husband see it or did you mention it to him? Are you thinking relapse? We has 85 trick or treaters at my door Saturday, maybe someone dropper a prop? I really like that idea of a cardboard tube and glow stick, goblin eyes, boooo! Don't worry, won't do you any good anyway, right? TF
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah imaginations running wild can be rampant in a joint like this

And yet, after reading the gift of fear, I don't think like that anymore. It seems we as humans are amazing creatures who have awesome skills very undeveloped at times in predicting danger. You might want to check that book out. And you need to be aware even with the time of year because addicts can bring danger to their door. It is a reality that has to be accepted.

Stay in the reality, in what you do know. And yet it might be time to ask him if he did anything that could endanger you. Also never ever hesitate to ask the police if unsure. In the society we live in today, they wouldn't bat an eye if you brought that into them.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's my Inspector Clouseau take....

My 8 year old daughter and her friends are obsessed with those patterned duct tapes right now...she decorates everything with them.

I can't imagine a meth head or a creepy underworld drug person going out of their way to go find duct tape with skulls on it. It sounds like something for Halloween....but I think you are smart to be aware of your surroundings.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I decided to stop by the police station and ask about it. Took the duct tape part with the light bulb mashed up in it and tried to explain. The guy opened it up and sniffed it, asked me a few questions and agreed it could have broke a window but didnt seem to have any violent intent, was probably kids but they handnt had other reports he knew about. Told me to stay alert, and get this when I said my husband had been out of town I think he assumed I was scared being alone and probably would have spooked over a candy wrapper or a cigarette butt in the yard. Maybe so

((Two Fish)) My husband was home 3 days last week, but has been back in rehab since last Thursday He tested clean when he signed back in and I dont think he relapsed or had anything to do with it. I didnt mention it to anyone especially him because right now he is deciding if he is ready to leave rehab, start outpatient, or leave all that structured treatment. I dont want him to feel any pressure like Im afraid at home, need him there.

(( Inciting Silence )) Is the name of the book The Gift of Fear? Is it going to make me more paranoid?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes the name is The Gift of Fear, Gavin de Becker.

And no it will not make you more paranoid, at all. Actually the opposite.

It is a really enlightening book that teaches so many skills that are practical in today’s world and debunks a lot of bad advice that is out there.

And it also explains something that is extremely important about how being in such a heightened state of fear, worry and or anxiety actually puts you in more danger generally speaking of missing something that you really should have paid attention to for your own safety.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by incitingsilence View Post
Yes the name is The Gift of Fear, Gavin de Becker.

And no it will not make you more paranoid, at all. Actually the opposite.

It is a really enlightening book that teaches so many skills that are practical in today’s world and debunks a lot of bad advice that is out there.

And it also explains something that is extremely important about how being in such a heightened state of fear, worry and or anxiety actually puts you in more danger generally speaking of missing something that you really should have paid attention to for your own safety.
Thanks
Will add it to the book list I have going