Whats Your Self Therapy

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats Your Self Therapy

Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a thread where we could all share what we do for some self therapy. I'll go first:

I have been having REALLY bad anxiety lately, that was starting to get out of hand. I know why I have it and I needed to take action against it. So I decided to give myself some ME time. SO Saturday my son slept over at grandmas and my husband was "working late". So this is what I did for a little self therapy:

Poured myself a glass of really good Pinot Noir (something I haven't had in a long time, too afraid to have alcohol in the house with my husbands pill cocktail, but I said "screw it" I'm not the one with the pills)

Drew up a hot bubble bath, put on some GOOD music. Not depressing music that makes you think too much. Just good music that you can tap your foot and bob your head to. I relaxed in the tub sipping my wine with my music playing- It was lovely! I turned off my brain and thought about absolutely nothing for the first time in a long time.

After the bath, I snuggled up on the couch with my dog and watched the movie BRIDEMAIDS, ( I highly suggest this movie if you need a good laugh- Its ridiculous). I went to bed feeling relaxed and tired for once, and slept through the whole night and woke up late. My anxiety was gone!

Then just to extend my little self therapy a little longer, Sunday I went and rode my horse- which is truly one of the best therapies in the world!

So, what do you do for therapy when you are feeling a little down, frustrated, or overwhelmed?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great thread! When I'm feeling anxious I like to make something with my hands....whether it be jewelry, sewing, baking, crafting. A creative outlet has gotten me through some of the darkest days of my life. When you have a sewing machine going at wharp speed you have to shut off mentally and pay attention to what you are doing! When things were really unmanageable in our life, my husband would come home and say "ahhhh....rough day?" There would be cookies all over the counter and some super messy project covering our dining room table! Perhaps it's time to make a big mess again! hmmm....what to do? what to do???
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Staying busy is definitely a good therapy. My house is always clean because I will clean like a freak to get some frustration out.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

personally I still struggle with this. I am child-free by choice, so everyone assumes that my whole life is 'me-time'. Sure it is in the sense if I want to read, I read, if I want to go out, I go out, but when you lived with an addict, you're terrifed to leave them at home alone. Therefore 90% of my time was 'addict time', with whatever remainder there was I focused on sleep and my dog's recovery (she has PTSD). Even when I knit (which I love to do), I was either knitting a gift for someone or blankets for the animal shelters.

I just spent a large amount of money (when you live with an addict, $100 seems like ALOT, but I got it half price so that's good) on beautiful cream aran yarn to make a cabled blanket for my girlfriend's wedding. I've always wanted a fantastic fisherman knit sweater for myself, but of course, my thought was "this would make her a fantastic blanket" (even though they haven't even set a wedding date yet lol). After speaking with my sister she made a good point: "why not instead of making something for someone else, you make something for yourself for once? Have something YOU want, not what YOU WANT FOR SOMEONE ELSE". Well if that wasn't a reality check nothing was...so I pulled it apart and I'm going to learn to knit this aran sweater if it kills me.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Redsox- If doing things for other people make you feel good , then I would say that is YOUR therapy.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take my dog to the dog park. We go there quite a bit actually. She is a doberman pinscher and when she was a pup that was the only way to drain her endless energy. I've made a few friends there who are older than me and retired. We talk about all kinds of things current events, politics, sports etc. They have much wisdom to offer and I'm thankful they are part of my life. We all love our dogs dearly and its always good to see them run and play. Dogs are so entertaining It brings me out of myself and into the lives of others. A good hour or two and I always come away feeling better.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

animals are amazing for therapy, They never fail you.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I cook. I love seeing the end results. It makes me feel good and is relaxing.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Codependent transference.......I decided that if I'm so interested in "helping" people why not actually help them....and volunteered at a shelter. Tomorrow is my first day. Hopefully it goes well.

To clarify, I don't want to make any decisions or judgements, that's for the administrators. I just have a skill (I'm a sous chef), and I want to put it to good use.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another fool, good for you! This world needs more big hearted people willing to volunteer their time. I'm sure you will touch the hearts of all the people you encounter. I'm really pleased for you! Have a great time, I know the subject matter is heavy but in my experience when I help at the food bank, there is such gratitude, appreciation and empathy...I always leave filled up....and I don't mean my belly!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im beginning to think I need to start doing more charity- it can be another therapy to add to my list of many.