to save a life...

Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am a mom of a 25 year old addict who is my daughter. First it was alcohol....we sent her to rehab at 19 (following her DUI), where she met the chef who was twice her age, and who got her hooked on heroin. I paid for her DUI , and then paid for her apt once she got out, so that she could focus on finishing college. My husband (not her dad) fought me all the way ...but I didn't listen. I chose my daughter too. Turned out, the chef had moved in with her, and I was paying the bills! Once I stopped, they got evicted. I hoped that was the end of them. No such luck. They moved in with HIS mother and finally got clean together about 2 years ago....He got busted for growing pot, and his mom threw him out. She had a job and a new apt. that she lost trying to help him. Now she is addicted to meth. She BEGGED to come to visit me to get her sh*t together. Long story short, I paid for her flight to Costa Rica....she slept (detoxing) for a week, physically and verbally abused me...and when I threw her out, she had apparently lost her passport and had to get money from a friend of mine to get home. I had thought if she had a safe place to stay to get herself together, she might come out the other side. I was thinking about moving back into our home in CA so that she could live with us and get it together. (My husband was against all of this btw). Bottom line, once she left, we found burned foil in the paint cabinet, and discovered she had stolen many items, including the urn that held my father's ashes. I have not talked to her since. That was July 29th. She lies, steals, manipulates, etc. and has been for years. She is not ready to be clean.....I cannot make her want to, although I would do anything if I thought I could. I wish you the best...but my husband was right all along.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This weekend I decided to care for myself. A stress free weekend, well needed and long deserved. I left my son to fend for himself, to see if he could resist the urge to use and see if he is truly serious about this. We go for drug test in the morning and counseling after that we will see if he has been truthful or not. I continued to worry about him all weekend, but I did not let it consume my every waking minute the way it has been. Just got off the phone with my son who has worked 16hrs a day for the past 2 days...he is exhausted but alive and that is all I can ask for. He sounds sober, but then again he has been totally wasted in the past and I've not been able to tell. Thanks for asking about my weekend...It was great.