Sad moments today

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad moments today

So of course, just when you think you're doing great with ending it with an addict, filed for divorce, you have those sad moments. Tonight I cried while walking my dog, all because something came on tv that reminded me of an inside joke my xah and I once shared, then I thought about how I'm living in the middle of a state without all of my friends and family and that made it a little worse. So this is what I had to do to snap out of it:

I thought about how earlier today, I got to play with a little husky puppy- he was so friggin cuddly and cute!
I tried thinking about my sadness as a bubble and letting it pop
I thought about how I have a job and a roof over my head and my children with fur
I thought about how I'm going to start jogging with my dog and get into better shape so I start to feel really good about myself again

and guess what? I made it through it without getting angry, but I know that those waves aren't over yet. This site is such a huge help I just can't even tell you. Thanks everybody!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I think you are doing awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, strength and hope. You are truly inspirational!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

When I first started my recovery I was told by an old-timer "change the thought and the heart will follow". I didn't get it at the time, actually it took me a while to get it. But, with practice we are able to change our thoughts and not dwell on what we think we're missing out on and instead be grateful for what we do have. And, our hearts DO follow. You done good!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Furbabies are cool.Microfurbabies (puppies) are even cooler!!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank goodness I got a dog to replace him, I know it would have been harder without him. He's kept me out exercising so I can't just sit at home and dwell. Thank you for all the replies. I know this week will be a better week, and even if it isn't, the next one will be! Once the divorce is finally done, I will really be able to figure out what I'm doing, where I'm moving etc. thanks everyone!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool Just had to say

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
Furbabies are cool.Microfurbabies (puppies) are even cooler!!
You are an inspiration. And I love the "micro fur babies". Lol. I have 2 cats and a dog. When my Agf was in the worstt relapse (hospital for 6 weeks with mrsa as a result of
Bacteria on needle..blah blah..almost went to her heart valves). Anyway, my golden retriever was just a puppy then and almost everyday we went to the dog park. It was immediate therapy. In the moment, watching him play with other dogs, chase the ball and prompt smiles and laughter that were long buried. If I am in a bad mood, stressing, or anxiety-ridden, the dog park with my fur baby Darwin provides just as good therapy( sometimes better) as my sessions with my therapist. Sorry, a bit off topic.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's nice to talk about something other than the addict or co dependency or ....I am grateful for this moment. Thank you SR.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a fine looking pup!
We took 2 Goldens from puppiedom to goodbye.

And you are right, tangerinepuddle
(c'mon...that handle simply HAS to refer to housetraining puppies!)

It IS nice to talk about something else.......puppies rule------
this addiction/codie crap 'SUX'.

It HAS taken up too much time.........for all of us.
( I too am grateful for this moment)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Goldenlovers and over it, When I was at my lowest in self pity and sadness, thinking my ADs were gonna be lost to addiction, my golden and yellow lab comforted me, nonverbally. They would sit with me, or go for a walk or just put a smile back on this moms very worried face. They wouldn't leave my side! They knew i was hurting. They do have this way of bringing the beast to a stop and the depression to be manageable. Thanks (pups) boys for being there and helping me stay calm during the middle of the nightmare. Good boy! TF
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for our pets! What blessings they are to us in pain...
Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As my friend said when I told him I adopted a dog after filing for divorce: "That is going to be the luckiest, most spoiled dog in the world". He is absolutely right. I love my cats too, but seeing as mine are indoor, I can't walk them and get exercise. Having a dog also forces you to talk to people and maintain some normalcy even when you're feeling low. Everyone here now knows what happened since I told them all (probably TMI for them) but I wanted them to know just in case I had to call the police if XAH tried to come by at any point.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe there need to be a program made for people in our situation! When you drop a loved one off a rehab facility, they should hand you a puppy or kitten (or pet of your choice) to foster for the duration of the loved one's stay. Can you imagine how few pets would be in shelters if we started that!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good idea overit263!

....but to minimize the transitional shock.....perhaps baby steps are in order?
Might I suggest an interim step? The wild animal rescue? Consider these
advantages:

1)Raccoon: Thieving, nocturnal, wears mask like a PROPER thief.
2)Chimpanzee: Sooooo cute.....right up to the point it rips your face off.
3)Python: Squeezes the life out of you. Your problems are over if it does.
(and if not, makes a hell of a nice belt!)
4)Bat: Sleeps all day, flies out at night, never know where it goes,
looks like a meth-head.

AFTER this stage, a nice, warm, fluffy puppy.....TO APPRECIATE!!!
Puppies, like babies....are nature/God's way of saying "life goes on"
Puppy puddles remind us that sometimes life can get messy----but it's
a HELL of a lot better than "wild kingdom" (a 'mutual of Omaha reference
that nobody is gonna get!)
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Agreed Vale! I remember watching wild kingdom with my parents on a Saturday night as I often had to do- because it was the same night Golden Girls was on - which I still love to this day, but man oh man did the primates scar me for life. I remember crying when they died. I'm still like that though!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mutual of Omaha "Wild Kingdom" was on Saturday nights (Sunday?) either right before or right after Wonderful World of Disney. Thanks for the happy memories of puppies, unconditional love and when TV was any good
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you're right, it must have been Sunday night right? Yeah, we need to hold on to our personal happy memories and not lose site of them, and that there are good personal memories to come. Puppies just make everything better!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sunday.Always.........I cannot believe any of you
young'uns remember that......My son calls me
'father time'.

I remember the big bang (not the show....the EVENT!).
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Vale, I don't think I'm as young as you believe! Our very first color TV, I remember that too!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Same here! I remember getting a remote controlled tv for the first time, we never had cable or cordless phones.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remember getting a color RADIO!!!!
So THERE!!!!

(no one gets one up on Vale.........one of the original
signers of the Magna Carta!)