What I Learned About Myself Today...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I Learned About Myself Today...

I've been thinking about all of the things I have learned about myself over the past few weeks, and the list is pretty long. And as I learn more about myself, I focus more on ME and less on HIS ADDICTION. Focusing on me feels good. So I decided to start a fun thread, just to get our minds off of addiction and back on ourselves, even if only for a minute. So I'm asking each of you to answer the following question...

What did I learn about myself today?

Here's my answer.

Today, I learned that the best form of anger management is slamming shopping carts into each other in Walmart's parking lot.

I also learned that the phrases "you need to" and "you should" make me want to stab myself in the eye with a pencil. Yeah, I hate those phrases that much.

And finally, I learned that I am a lot stronger than I thought I was.

Well, that's what I learned about myself today.

Feel free to share!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I learned that through life....you just have to keep walking through the difficult times. Just keep walking; things will get better if you use your logic and not just ride with the feelings.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wonderful idea and thread...

Over time I have learned to get to know "that stranger called me" and to treat her with respect and keep her healthy.

Yesterday I learned that the world is a beautiful place, especially in Canadian Autumn, and that taking time to pause and soak in the loveliness is good for my soul.

Today I learned that no matter how long I have practiced my recovery, I still have moments where I'd like to control the world and everyone in it...and was jolted back to reality when the world said "It's HER again, oh lordy, doesn't she know by now that the world can run better without her interference". And it did.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I haven't learne anything today yet because its 6 am ;0)

But yesterday I learned that I am justified in feeling cynical and I have a right to it and to my feeling after being out through tremendous tress from unstable and messed up people in my life. I have a right to out my foot down and say to hell with all of you Im going to love my life and love it well and I no longer allow you or your diseases to steal my joy. I have a right to be strong, firm and focused on my own life and health. I have a right to say NO I WILL NO LONGER PARTICIPATE, you can go ahead an have your sick fun but I am different and not interested any longer. I have a right to I crucify myself bandage my wounds and move along towards a bright future.

I frankly no longer give a damn I feel better!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I learned that it feels great to just sit and listen to someone without offering advice. To be an ear instead of a mouth. To just absorb what my dear friend was saying instead of thinking about what I was going to say next. It was all she really needed.

Great thread...I love reading what others have to share. Thanks, PhotoArtist.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I learned that it's okay to not feel 100% everyday but to try your hardest to make your days the best you can anyway. I felt sorry for myself for the longest time.. then i snapped out of it. I said, i'm gonna genuinely learn about myself and who i am in order to understand the rest of the world i have to love myself first.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yesterday I learned I'm on the wrong side of 47 for rollerblades. I'm keeping my eyes open for today's lesson....there is always so much to learn!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've learned that when you tell people your story (like when you are getting your wedding ring appraised to sell it) other women will tell you their stories of ex husbands and their substance abuse problems and how they got out too. You really do get support when you least expect it.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizwig View Post
Yesterday I learned I'm on the wrong side of 47 for rollerblades. I'm keeping my eyes open for today's lesson....there is always so much to learn!
Thanks Liz, that gave me a good laugh! Reminds me of Laurie Notaro...reading her books have always made me laugh like an idiot out loud.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great thread!

Today I learned (again) that when I get really heavy and sad with depression and intolerance it is frequently because I am avoiding doing something that I need to do. Whether it's a work project I'm dreading kicking off, a difficult conversation with friends or family that I'm avoiding, anything that I'm procrastinating because it will be uncomfortable for me... I just need to DO IT. It is almost never as bad as I think it's going to be. I don't know why I have to learn this lesson again and again and again and again ad nauseam.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interrupted View Post
Great thread!

Today I learned (again) that when I get really heavy and sad with depression and intolerance it is frequently because I am avoiding doing something that I need to do. Whether it's a work project I'm dreading kicking off, a difficult conversation with friends or family that I'm avoiding, anything that I'm procrastinating because it will be uncomfortable for me... I just need to DO IT. It is almost never as bad as I think it's going to be. I don't know why I have to learn this lesson again and again and again and again ad nauseam.
This is the story of my life! Glad I'm not the only professional procrastinator!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today I learned that I need to BEND but not BREAK.

I also learned what a real panic attack feels like. Thought I was having a freakin stroke!

Last but not least, I learned that I not only find comfort in buying shoes, but also in buying makeup, LOTS OF MAKEUP. Sephora is my new best friend
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great thread.

I reminded myself to enjoy the timeless treasures of life: my son trying on his homemade Halloween costume. Running around in it like a wild animal. Watching my mom smile and laugh as she watched her grandson. Silly things are some of the best things.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Silly things are some of the best things.
Amen to that! I love silly things
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yesterday I learned that it's not all about me - I often think it is and have to remind myself that this wonderful world does not revolve around me and I am no more than a grain of sand on a beach. x
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What I learned about myself today is that I will never accept something if I am not convinced it is true. It is a blessing and a curse, but today it was a blessing
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today I learned to never underestimate 'normal'. The normal things in life are the most precious - and if taken away are soon missed. For example spending an evening with your family, watching ur nephew take his first steps, helping your sister to practise her presentation for a job interview, sharing banter with colleagues at work. Spend time realising what you love about your life, as opposed to focussing on the people who have wronged you and the sad aspects of your life. Everything feels a lot sunnier when you look at life through those eyes x
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prilly87 View Post
Today I learned to never underestimate 'normal'. The normal things in life are the most precious - and if taken away are soon missed. For example spending an evening with your family, watching ur nephew take his first steps, helping your sister to practise her presentation for a job interview, sharing banter with colleagues at work. Spend time realising what you love about your life, as opposed to focussing on the people who have wronged you and the sad aspects of your life. Everything feels a lot sunnier when you look at life through those eyes x
I think this would be perfect if you replaced "Normal" with "Simple", just because what is normal to you may not be normal to me or someone else Yeah, I'm a little odd, not very normal per se, but I do love and cherish the Simple things in life!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What I learned about myself today is that I am an emotional basket case. I really thought I was handling life a lot better, getting away from my codependent ways, but today I'm Mrs. Codependent and my emotions are all over the place.

I also learned that I need to BALANCE my life and find some "me" time.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today I learned that I'm holding on to resentment and anger, I also learned that my anxiety is caused by me- not my AH. I also learned that I have spent too much time on him and too little time on me and my son. So I went for a really long walk with my son and our dog, and focused on my son only- it felt good to forget about my AH for a couple hours.