Canadian Thanksgiving...Counting Our Blessings

Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cool Canadian Thanksgiving...Counting Our Blessings

This is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends here.

In honour of the occasion, I thought I would start a gratitude thread where we can remember all the good things in our lives and count our blessings. Please join me in embracing the good things in our lives, the beauty of each day and for a moment forget our troubles. I'll start with threee...

I will give thanks for living in such a beautiful part of a wonderful country and for being surrounded by nature each day from the moment I wake up until I close my eyes at night.

I am grateful for my health and Mr. Ann's good health too. I don't take life for granted and every day is a blessing to me.

I am grateful for good family that doesn't live far from me and for good friends here at SR and in my life away from these boards. Having the support of so many wonderful people is a blessing that sees me through the bad days as well as the good.

How about you? What are you grateful for today?

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Excellent idea, Ann. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I am grateful for my family, for my job (especially since the boss from hell has gone), and my health and very grateful to SR. I don't think I would have made it this far without the wonderful supportive people here.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am grateful to have some very good and supportive friends, including here.
I am grateful to have some wonderful family members.
I am grateful that I know God's unconditional love and His grace.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Ann and to all the other Canadians who found there way here to SR.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So much to be thankful for!!

That I am healthy enough to jog today. And my dogs are healthy enough to jog with me (i have broken my spine and puppy went into renal failure the week after Ah relapsed, so this is a big deal)
I have two healthy, happy alive kids.
I have a roof over my head and food in the fridge.( especially those yummy pillsbury pumpkin face cookies)
I have Internet and you!
I feel proud of myself again, and also free
The stars, the sky and the air I breathe
I am in school to train for my dream job, and doing ok so far at that
I got new clothes required for that dream job
I got to read to my kids before they went to sleep
My son wants to be a princess for Halloween
I have a soft cozy bed and enough medication to deal with my sore back
I live in canada so I don't have to pay for all my doctors visits
My kids are in excellent childcare and school
I live in a safe neighbourhood with friendly neighbours that is racially diverse
I own my house
I've never gone hungry
I am managing just fine as a single parent (thanks in part to convenience foods because I don't always have time to cook from scratch)
I have good books to read
Even if I don't have any friends who are close to me, I do have friends who care about me a lot from afar
I got to sleep in today
I am happy with who and what I see in the mirror
I haven't smoked pot in a month (after 13 years of daily) and I haven't been in unbearable pain or lost too much weight and appetite
I like my classmates and teachers
I have two parents who love me, and a dad who is there for me every single day with loveand support
We are not at war
Did I mention Internet? Because it really is something that means a lot to me, bringing me books, movies, tv, forums, standup comedians, Ted talks, and so on
I have a few gray hairs that show I'm a big girl now, and finally some wrinkles (I'm proud of my age)
Beautiful fall leaves, crisp air
Halloween decorations and candy
Gravol
I can eat food (I once spent four weeks in hospital where I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything, so I'm grateful to even have a glass of water)
I have clean safe water that comes out of a tap, hot if I want it that way
Mint tea
I have a car with gas in it
Clean laundry, especially the sheets on my bed
My son is gifted with the superpower of funniness and laughter
My daughter is gifted with the superpower of words

For these and for all my blessings, may I be truly thankful.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thankful I was able to put my life back together. Thankful for the hope and joy of each new day. Thankful for my dear friends on SR - who seem to understand me better than anyone.

Have a lovely holiday weekend dear Ann.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann and Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for finding the courage to reach out for help exactly one year ago today. I am grateful for admitting I am powerless over my son's addiction. I am grateful for all that is good in my life. I am grateful for this site and for all of you who remind me my situation is not unique and for knowing you understand my fears. I am grateful for the challenges in my life as well because it is these challenges which have led to the most spiritual growth. And above all...I will be forever grateful to my higher power, he knows my burdens and if I'm willing to let go of them completely....He will carry them for me.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Lord, My Sobriety, NA, My Family, My SR Family

In that order. without sobriety I don't have a family.

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am thankful for all the time I got to spend with my daughter when she was very little
and I am thankful for the one day a week she is now in daycare, for the amazing staff
they have there and how great a place it is.
I am thankful for her preschool (two mornings a week) where she is learning a little bit
of french, having a lot of fun and making new friends. Thankful for all the people there
(kids, parents, grandparents and teachers).
I am grateful for newer friends , mostly other single moms and one grandma.
I am grateful for the long walk I got to take today without worrying about my daughter.
I am very thankful to know I will have some free time most weeks to get groceries and
get a little exercise...and possibly get some legal advice and such.
I am also thankful for all the time I do get to spend with my little girl and how I am a
way better mom when I do get a break once in a while.
I am grateful to live in an amazing city (Vancouver,BC) that has so many great things
for families; neighbourhood houses, community centres, community gardens, all kind of
really amazing playgrounds and parks, beaches ... And for my single mom support
group.
I am grateful for my family even though they are far away.
I am thankful for my Alanon groups.
I am grateful for my mom who is gone but taught me so much.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Adding some more on this lovely autumn day...

I am grateful for my dear niece and my baby great nephew, they moved back from the west and have brought so much sunshine into my life.

I am grateful for terrific neighbours in our condo community, who will join together tonight for a wonderful turkey dinner and remind me that "family" doesn't always mean kin.

I am grateful for my faith and for a God who I trust with blind faith even when I have no idea where I am going. I am grateful today that I can just let myself be led and know that my path is lit as I go.

I am grateful for my grandpa, long gone but the best ever, who taught me to collect chestnuts each autumn and then keep them in my pockets and handbag for luck. Thank you grandpa.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks Ann...such a wonderful thread.

I am grateful for a full plate at every meal
For my family and their health
For the magical world of grandchildren
For a job and money to pay bills
For my daughter, a recovering addict, that I can see with my eyes and hug, after such a long time of not knowing if she was even alive. There were so many chances for her to die or go to prison but she is in rehab instead. God took such care of her when she didn't care enough about life to take care of herself.
For the miracle of recovery that put the pieces of my own life back together lovingly from the shattered fragments of a lonely existence.

There is not enough time in eternity to express the gratitude I feel I owe.