PTSD from Emotional Abuse

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PTSD from Emotional Abuse

Here is a link to an article I found to be interesting on the link between PTSD and abuse...

PTSD from Emotional Abuse | Caught in the Cogs
Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a good article B & B, this link will take you to one of the sticky threads that has some helpful information for those who are or have been abused.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...sed-woman.html
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann... My experience is that the abuse in my relationship was difficult to recognize in the midst of drug addiction and mental illness. Verbal and emotional abuse has been a part of my life since I was a child and I learned some of those behaviors. Understanding that the symptoms I was experiencing was a normal reaction to chronic emotional abuse helped me to take the steps to distance myself from the abuse and abusers- not just my AXBF.

While the majority of professionals acknowledge typical PTSD, some do not acknowledge "complex PTSD" as a real thing caused by chronic emotional abuse which is really at the heart of all abuse. While I do not fit the classic picture of PTSD, I fit the classic picture of c-PTSD to the point where a certain tone of voice or comments from my AXBF would make me physically shake like a terrified rabbit about to be killed and eaten. To this day, the anxiety affects me on the daily, even with distance from the relationship.

I feel I have pretty healthy coping skills now but realize that it is going to take time to recover. I have developed some not so pretty habits as a result as well. The farther I get away from my AXBF- I honestly have no idea who or what he is- drug addict, narcissist, bipolar, sociopathic? Some combination? I don't know and frankly, not sure I want to know. But I know enough to know that I got hooked on the pain and suffering- that was my deal and not his. I took the bait time after time and always got hurt. Now I feel it is time to remove the hooks, be strong and move on.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a good time to share something I recently wrote to another SR member in private: I've known for quite a while that I have a major disconnect between my body and my mind, and that I needed to work on not only integrating myself holistically, but to also process a lot of the emotional pain that's stored in my body. Memories aren't only stored in the brain – they're in our bones, muscles, organs, etc., as well. Although talk therapy has been such a godsend for me, there were so many things that I simply could not touch in sessions with my psychologist.

So, I finally started doing physical therapy (therapeutic massage) about two weeks ago and I'm starting feel a rush of emotions and "other stuff" that I can't quite name yet. I'm extremely sensitive lately, sad sometimes (but not depressed), and sometimes quite angry. [I was forewarned that it might be like this for a while, so I'm not anxious or overly concerned.] I believe that I'm starting to process some of the pain that's been locked in me for decades... it's not pleasurable, but I already have the experience of the process I went through (and continue) in my Nar-Anon groups and with my psychologist, so I'm not fighting it.

I'm not writing this as a suggestion, but only to share my experience. If you are interested I will update you on how the massage therapy (which I think is called "biodynamism" in the States) continues to affect me. I should definitely also note that I'm not only feeling "bad stuff" -- I also am a bit more relaxed and much more social, and more open to new things (like saying "yes" when I'm invited to a party rather than staying in and working).

One of the greatest gifts that I've received from my recovery has been an understanding that my mind and my thoughts are only a part of what makes me who I am; my body is not just an appendage of my mind, a tool that "I" use to get around in the world, or a husk that encases "me". My body IS me, or rather, it is a part of the holistic me. I think one of the affects of being abused as a child (and, I suppose, as an adult, as well) is that one tends to dissociate from the body and hide in the mind. I now know how damaging that's been to my health, and I hope that I'm beginning to heal.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks MSB- I am very familiar with various forms of bodywork and I agree that therapeutic massage to work on emotional release is fantastic. Thanks for the reminder, and probably could benefit from going back for more treatment.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"trauma bond" about says it all doesn't it?!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lesliej View Post
"trauma bond" about says it all doesn't it?!
It does. I'm just now coming out of the haze of it all. It's been about a year and a half. Something is broken and I don't know what, but something in me is broken now.