Pills to heroin

Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pills to heroin

Live-in boyfriend took that step when there were no pills to be found. Hes on parole and has 2 places to go if I tell him to leave: rehab (again) or jail. In frustration Im so tempted to call his parole officer but I know jail isnt the answer.
I watched him carry a stack of my grandmothers old records out of the house to see if he could sell them for drugs. (They were worthless.)
I feel like I'm living in a Lifetime channel movie.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No Lifetime movie here just Life with an addicted person--he won't change. I guess the question is will you change or is the insanity just going to happening--same thing over and over hoping for different results.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good point. He is willing to go into rehab so I need to encourage that.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oops! Now rehab is not something he can do because he doesnt want to quit the job he has and feels responsible for the debt he put us in. Which he is. He does well on suboxone and "will try to get on that". Something will go awry. He'll have it for 4 or 5 days from a friend who has a legal prescription, then he'll run out, then hell simply HAVE to use heroin and repeat repeat repeat.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Antonchigurth,

Believe it or not you have the ability to change the channel any time you want. Maybe to CBS - survivor!!! Survived a ill fated relationship from an addict who does not want to seek help.

Sounds real good for him to say he wants to keep his job to be responsible for the debt he put you BOTH in but the truth is probably more along the lines of.....the job provides $ for his drugs and to continue doing exactly what he has been doing.

Nothing changes if someone doesn't change and it doesn't appear he is the one to do that right now so that leaves YOU.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can I ask why you haven't kicked him out already? You aren't scared to live in a home with drugs in it or walking in to your home to find him OD'd? My husband did the same thing and as soon as I knew he was using, I was too scared to have him in my home. I'm just curious, not judging. I know how hard and scary and overwhelming it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He never uses in the house. And only brings his suboxone strips here. He's embarrassed and ashamed to do it here.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

He has excuses why he won't quit and it sounds like you're buying into them. That tells me he has no intention of quitting the drugs. So, knowing that, you are left with a choice. Continue to live with an active addict, or not.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree with Suki. The cruddy part is that we all have to come to that conclusion after the denial wears off. And he tells you he never uses in the house, but we all know that active addicts lie. Your addict is no different than any other active addict. I went through that with thinking my exh was different...boy was I wrong.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He has had a doctor tell him he should stay on suboxone and put him on a 'waiting list'- apparently the guy had reached his monthly limit of prescriptions written. He's calm cool and collected when hes on the stuff, and doesnt want to get high. The issue is finding a doctor who can prescribe it.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So are you hearing this from him, or his doctor?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

His doctor. Opiate addicts are rampant here and everyone is scrambling to get on suboxone but the feds say doctors can only prescribe so much per month.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're in such an area where it's so rampant. I'm finding out it's the same I live now, and I had no idea. I guess if you aren't looking for it, you have no clue until people start telling you how bad it is and where. So what are you doing to take care of you?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good question, and theres no good answer.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Find a physician who does not have a limit. Here is some info.
Buprenorphine
Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ditto here! I had no clue the number of young addicts here in my little town, DOC is Meth and Heroin. The kids buy the subs on the street or they go to the Methadone/pain clinic.one concurring thing I noticed with my AD's was I always took the bait that the AV told them to tell me. What I learned was how to pi$$ off the AV once they hit bottom and desired sobriety. And yes it costs a lot of money for the inpt and outpt therapy,however, what is the price of a loved ones life? If my children were kidnapped I would pay any amount of money, so what the difference with addiction kidnapping my children? My children are priceless.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Antonchigurh, I dated an addict a few years ago, and I spent thousands of dollars helping him through crisis after crisis. I kept telling myself that maybe this time would be the time he would turn things around. I spent all my emotional energy worrying about his recovery, and drained myself of all my energy in the process. Finally, it became too much for me and when he came to me for help, I had to start telling him that this was his problem to handle and I had confidence in him to do what was right for himself. I was shocked by how quickly he disappeared from my life once I stopped giving him my energy and money. I was also shocked by how peaceful life was without him. Just my experience, for what it's worth.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

folks actually kicked heroin and other drugs WITHOUT subs or methadone, etc. it's not the ONLY solution. it CAN be a good tool for those who a) are committed to getting clean and staying clean and b) take it AS prescribed by their physician. as it stands it sounds like he just uses it as a crutch and then as soon as he's out, he's back to the H. he's looking for some magic pill to do it FOR him. and it just doesn't work that way.

he's ON parole, claims he can't DO rehab, feels bad about he debt he incurred, yet hauls off with your grandmother's old records to go sell for dope. he's words don't mean doodly squat. his actions say that drugs are the priority, and that even things that belong to YOU and have sentimental value are simply one more thing he can hock to get dope.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Youre right Anvil, he's a talker...talks so much to compensate for what he doesnt do.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Learning to listen to what an addict does instead of what they say is a crucial tool for coping with addiction, IMHO. My ex was great at spinning hopeful visions for the future, but the reality was that his addiction was taking us both down into a heap of misery.