...and what it's like now

Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

it was weird for me....MY thing was CHEESE. I didn't think I could live a day without cheese. when I committed to the detox diet and that lengthy list of avoid foods, I gave up so many things at once that not one thing had the chance to trigger cravings. I rarely eat cheese now...today I had a string cheese, can't remember the last time??? I had a drizzle of milk on my gluten free oats this morning (sprinkled with flax seed). yesterday at work was the first time I've had a sandwich....wheat bread, turkey, cranberry, cream cheese, tomato, lettuce.

today I cooked up a batch of brown rice. and cooked off some ground turkey. I had a kickass nutriblast shake with spring greens, plum, blueberries.

this was NOT my diet 6+weeks ago. now it is. and I get what they are talking about with eating a cleaner, simpler diet. everything in moderation. and lots of water. we keep a 16 oz cup fulltime filled with water on the kitchen counter, so you can take a swig as you pass.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

tick! another pound down. not trying to future trip but we are now 2# away from 20#s!!!! she says as she enjoys a nutriblast shake with red leaf lettuce, strawberries, blueberries, protein powder and flax seed. with a splash of almond milk. up and at em and off for grocery shopping by 9am, first stop the produce stand! luscious holiday red seedless grapes the size of plums, all kinds of yummy stuff. funny when I next went to the grocery store, i'm amazed at how many sections and aisles I just zip thru....only item from the frozen food section was a newman's own specialty thin crust pizza for hank. all that other pre-packaged, pre-made stuff just gives me the shudders now. even the former love of my life, stouffer's mac n cheese just does NOT look appealing at all.

change is an amazing thing.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You GO! That is fantastic! How do you FEEL? Energized? How about mentally as well as physically?

I'm currently in one of the fruit capitals of the world and eating lots of the stuff. Getting lots of sleep. A moderate amount of exercise. I feel good.

But the cheese thing.......the only cheese available and affordable here is queso fresco......I have to admit.....I miss a good cheddar.

18#s!?!?!? Wow that is terrific (but I bet the clothes aren't fitting so well!!!)

gentle hugs
ke
Old 10-12-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

oh the mental boost is huge! I was so beat down, physically exhausted and just mentally worn out, stressed, and just resigned to feeling like that.

hank and j (the perennial visitor) were joking that I was looking all gansta there for a bit with my low riding baggy pants! I recently bought a pair of 14s and they are getting loose, except around the middle. my stomach/abdomen are shrinking for sure, but there is still a thickness there.

i'm currently wearing a pair of hank's flannel jammie pants! I got them for him for xmas a couple years ago, they are mediums, but kind of big/loose on him...they have a snug elastic waist band so he could wear them without them falling off. other day I said, wonder if I can fit in these? he said go for it, I bet you can baby. I did and they are loose! and VERY comfy!

the cortisol manager, taken at bedtime, seems to maybe be working?? I dunno, altho my sleep cycle is still uneven, I feel more refreshed in the mornings? ok, not bounding out of bed with girlish glee, I AM getting out of bed!!! no nap today, not tired. just call me steady eddy.....!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dear Anvil! Again I am so proud of you! Very determined! How did you retrain your brain to accept this? And shopping at the grocery store, I bet that's fun, buying and shopping for new foods, especially foods that are healthy, good tasting and best of all, helps you lose weight! Congrat! I haven't worm mediums in years and I'm 53. I just may try this new menu that you have shared with us! Thanks!! TF
Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

twofish...it's the same process of "recovery" - I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. and willing to go to any lengths to get better. I had to take a leap of faith...nothing else was working. doctors weren't listening when i'd say there is something WRONG with me. i'd researched all kinds of stuff....I had symptoms that indicated adrenal fatigue and/or thyroid issues....or something along those lines. I asked my doctor to do blood work, bu they didn't do a full panel screen, just checked cholesterol and a couple of other points. I asked if we could check thyroid, they didn't do a full panel screen, just the basic TSH and some other thing - which when I shared that with my naturopath she said those levels are meaningless if you are really looking for thyroid issues. my doctor offered no real guidance of any sort....I stated how my knees just ache like the dickens ALL the time and she basically said nothing to be done. I brought up the poor sleep. she suggested Tylenol PMs, and then prescribed trazadone. I never got the sense she took me seriously or wanted to partner WITH me to find resolution.

it was another poster here on SR (I so wish I could recall her name) that posted about taking bioidentical hormones and how much that helped. that started me on the path to learn more about that and then I stumbled across water's edge. and something clicked and I took that leap of faith.

when they first presented the metabolic clearing I was like, whoa, that's a tall order!!! (from AA Big Book How it Works: Many of us exclaimed, "What an order! I can't go through with it." Do not be discouraged. ). so I said, ok how about I take a few weeks to ease into these changes, learn what I CAN eat, and where I can shop to get these things, just add the shakes daily, and then on the day that hank leaves for Wisconsin for 5 days, i'll take that week off of work and go for it! they listened to me, my concerns, and fully supported me doing this when I was ready and applauded my plan. by then i'd already lost a couple pounds, was used to having the shakes every day, and was making better food choices.

the goal was NEVER to lose weight. it wasn't a weight loss plan. in fact some people actually gain weight at first. so they kept my expectations low. I just wanted to feel better.
Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point.
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

for me the parallels are no coincidence. same mindset, same commitment, same outcome.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I found rice and pea based protein powder for shakes through Swanson, they seem to be reasonable priced. it is under the name "Spiro-tein", has spirolina in the base.

I ordered a peach flavor to try as I have some frozen peaches in my freezer.

thanks again for the information.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm cheering you on, Anvil. When I started reading labels on foods I was horrified. Sometimes it took half the label to print out all the ingredients. Today when I shop I love seeing things that say "tomatoes" and that's it, or a really good vegetable soup I found that tastes just like home made and the first eight ingredients are actual vegetables. All those additives just cannot be good for us.

Yup, I'm cheering you on and rooting for you all the way. Go Anvil!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

bump.
i've seena lot of good amazon reviews on the nutribullet. are you happy with yours.
it seems like a good small simple alternative to the $400. vitamix.
thank for the info!
hope things are going well
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm curious about the nutibullet too, seen it at Kohls, I think. Think it's worth it? I lost a pants size during our nightmare with drugs when we discovered our daughters were taking Heroin...don't recommend losing weight that way, ha! Have a good day!