Interesting Codependency Article

Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Codependency Article

Codependency: Don't Dance!

The "codependency dance" requires two people: the pleaser/fixer and the taker/controller. This inherently dysfunctional dance requires two opposite but distinctly balanced partners: a codependent and a narcissist (or addict). Codependents, who are giving, sacrificing, and consumed with the needs and desires of others, do not know how to emotionally disconnect or avoid romantic relationships with individuals who are narcissistic - individuals who are selfish, self-centered, controlling, and harmful to them. Codependents habitually find themselves on a "dance floor" attracted to "dance partners" who perfectly match up to their uniquely passive, submissive and acquiescent dance style.

As natural followers of their relationship "dance," codependents are passive and accommodating dance partners. Codependents find narcissistic dance partners deeply appealing. They are perpetually attracted to their narcissistic dance partner's charm, boldness, confidence and domineering personality. When codependents and narcissists are paired up, the dancing experience sizzles with excitement - at least, in the beginning. After many "songs," the enthralling and thrilling dance experience predictably transforms into drama, conflict, and feelings of neglect and being trapped. Even with chaos and conflict, neither of the two spellbound dancers dares to end their partnership. Despite the tumultuous and conflict-laden nature of their relationship, neither of these two opposite but dysfunctionally compatible dance partners feels compelled to sit the dance out.

When a codependent and narcissist come together in their relationship, their "dance" unfolds flawlessly: the narcissistic partner maintains the lead and the codependent follows. Their roles seem natural to them because they have actually been practicing them their whole lives. Because the codependent reflexively gives up their power and the narcissist thrives on power and control, the dance is perfectly coordinated. No one gets their toes stepped on.

Typically, codependents give of themselves much more than their partners give to them. As "generous" but bitter dance partners, they seem to be stuck on the dance floor, always waiting for the "next song," at which time they naively hope that their narcissistic partner will finally understand their needs. Codependents confuse caretaking and sacrifice with loyalty and love. Although they are proud of their unwavering dedication to the person they love, they end up feeling unappreciated and used. Codependents yearn to be loved, but because of their choice of dance partner, find their dreams unrealized. With the heartbreak of unfulfilled dreams, codependents silently and bitterly swallow their unhappiness.

Codependents are essentially stuck in a pattern of giving and sacrificing, without the possibility of ever receiving the same from their partner. They pretend to enjoy the dance, but really harbor feelings of anger, bitterness, and sadness for not taking an active role in their dance experience. They are convinced that they will never find a dance partner who will love them for who they are, as opposed to what they can do for them. Their low self-esteem and pessimism manifests itself into a form of learned helplessness that ultimately keeps them on the dance floor with their narcissistic partner.

The narcissist dancer, like the codependent, is attracted to a partner who feels perfect to them: someone who lets them lead the dance while making them feel powerful, competent and appreciated. In other words, the narcissist feels most comfortable with a dancing companion who matches up with their self-absorbed and boldly selfish dance style. Narcissist dancers are able to maintain the direction of the dance because they always find partners who lack self-worth, confidence and who have low self-esteem - codependents. With such a well-matched companion, they are able to control both the dancer and the dance.

Although all codependent dancers desire harmony and balance, they consistently sabotage themselves by choosing a partner who they are initially attracted to, but will ultimately resent. When given a chance to stop dancing with their narcissistic partner and comfortably sit the dance out until someone healthy comes along, they typically choose to continue their dysfunctional dance. They dare not leave their narcissistic dance partner because their lack of self-esteem and self-respect makes them feel like they can do no better. Being alone is the equivalent of feeling lonely, and loneliness is too painful a feeling to bear.

Without self-esteem or feelings of personal power, the codependent is incapable of choosing mutually giving and unconditionally loving partners. Their choice of a narcissistic dance partner is connected to their unconscious motivation to find a person who is familiar - someone who is reminiscent of their powerless and, perhaps, traumatic childhood. Sadly, codependents are children of parents who also flawlessly danced the dysfunctional codependent/narcissistic dance. Their fear of being alone, their compulsion to control and fix at any cost, and their comfort in their role as the martyr who is endlessly loving, devoted, and patient, is an extension of their yearning to be loved, respected and cared for as a child.

Although codependents dream of dancing with an unconditionally loving and affirming partner, they submit to their dysfunctional destiny. Until they decide to heal the psychological wounds that ultimately compel them to dance with their narcissistic dance partners, they will be destined to maintain the steady beat and rhythm of their dysfunctional dance.

Through psychotherapy and, perhaps, a 12-step recovery program, the codependent can begin to recognize that their dream to dance the grand dance of love, reciprocity and mutuality is indeed possible. Through therapy and a change of lifestyle, codependents can build (repair) their tattered self-esteem. The journey of healing and transformation will bring them feelings of personal power and efficacy that will foster a desire to finally dance with someone who is willing and capable of sharing the lead, communicating their movements, and pursuing a mutual loving rhythmic dance.

Codependency: Don’t Dance!
by: Ross Rosenberg, M.Ed., LCPC, CADC

Last edited by Ann; 10-04-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, great reading that I needed today!

Thank you!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

shoot! i am at work!
I cant copy and paste, really need this to sent it to a friend of mine....
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is so good. Thanks for sharing this.

I haven't posted at SR for a long time, but have checked in over the years when I've needed strength or clarity. Posts like this one have kept me grounded when I needed it most.

This article could have been written with my name in it. My dance with my addict is over, but I will save this article to remind me where I was and where I don't want to find myself again. Good stuff.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have yet to post about myself but reading this is exactly what I'm going thru."Their low self-esteem and pessimism manifests itself into a form of learned helplessness that ultimately keeps them on the dance floor with their narcissistic partner".
Nail on the head and I'm still dancing.....
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Great article. Thank you B&B!!