Thinking of starting a support group in my town

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking of starting a support group in my town

Good Morning,
I am thinking of starting a support group for family members of substance abusers. I have no idea where to start or what to do but will be researching and trying to find out how to go about this. I contacted Chris Herren (The Herren Project-Project Purple) who lives in my state to see if he has any advice.

The closest Nar anon meeting is 30 minutes away (in RI that is too far for many, we all drive 1-15 minutes from our homes and the joke is if we go any further we have to pack a lunch . I am not sure how to go about finding out if there are other groups possibly in town that I am not aware of. I have a friend who started her own group in CT and can get some helpful information from her. The sad part is there are places here in town where drugs are sold and the police are very aware of it yet they do NOTHING. A friend has taken pictures, video, license plates for 2 years of a house next door to her and gone so far to call the newspapers, yet nothing is ever done. There is a business across the street from this drug house who has also contacted the police with information on many occasions. I realize they need to put together an investigation but 2 years?? We have a lower income housing complex where everyone in town knows the drugs are sold. They do it right at the end of the drive in the street yet nothing is done. You never ever see an arrest in the paper. I do not know why this happens but have been told it is because the police chief wants our town to look like a safe sleepy little town. I find that disgusting and negligent. Anyway, hoping I can do some research and get something going as I am sure there are many families hurt by this illness as we have been. It seems as though no one wants to talk about it or cares enough about it. Do many of you find this same attitude?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a terrific idea to start your own support meetings.

This link will connect you to Nar-anon and you can find information there on how to go about this, how to get literature, and requirements for each meeting.

Starting a Meeting (FAQs) | Nar-Anon Family Groups

And yes, police everywhere appear to be too complacent when it comes to arresting known drug dealers and it is good when communities speak out. This, of course is a different matter than the meetings, but also something that your area may want to investigate. More and more "neighbourhoods" are taking back their safety.

Hugs
Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TMZ

I think it is wonderful idea !
There are not enough of them!

Are you wanting to start a Nar-Anon meeting?
What state?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been considering this a lot myself lately. I'm a little overwhelmed thinking of the time commitment but if I'm honest I already attend al-anon one night a week so if I just switch the two it wouldn't be any different. I think my biggest fear is sitting by myself...repeating my story in my own head....which I do enough of already! Haha.

I also know my personality type is already a doer...I say yes too often...which I'm working on. I was on way too many service boards and recently made the decision to give all but the food bank up so I could concentrate and commit to my recovery. Maybe this is God's way of telling me I'm going to be bored if I don't fill the space...but I'm not!!! And I won't be anytime soon!! I've got a decision to make. Dive in!! Your community will appreciate you!