Treatment Program

Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treatment Program

One of my friends recommended Teen Challenge for my husband. I did look at reviews and one site saying it was a cult. It is faith based (Pentecostal)
I'm also in no way saying this is the only hope in the world but it may work for my husband because he's lacking a strong family (except me). I'm hoping that because he does believe he's in a spiritual battle this will give him some armor.
I did my own research on the program and found that it was started in my home state of NY. My father actually brought many of his "workers" to the program to complete it and my mother says its a good program.
I don't think if someone isn't religious this would or could be an option. I'm hopeful that he says he will go into this. I've been sending him letters and he's been writing me. He says how sorry he is, how much he loves me, and how much he messed up. I just know that if he comes home, and nothing changes, nothing changes. I'm feeling hopeful that he will accept going to this "program". It's 14 months but i'm sure they allow visiting.
I think it's a better alternative than a half-way house I know nothing about. I want him to come home, but of course that wouldn't be in his best interest and have told him that he can't just come home. It wouldn't be good for me either. I need time to heal. Which i'm doing with this time he has in jail. I love him so much. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Teen Challenge has a very good name around here, one of the best long-term programs around. Yes, it is faith based but most definitely not a cult. They tell you it is faith based up front and although they don't try to convert anyone, they would need respect for this aspect of their program. Maybe have an open mind.

I have been to churches of many different denominations and found a good message in each of them and nobody forced their belief upon me...I just listened and took what helped me from the message. 12-step programs are also faith based but allow God, as you understand God, open for your own interpretation. Some use Good Orderly Conduct as their higher power if they are not open to the concept of God.

My point is, it's a good program but any program is about as good as the addicts willingness to get clean and stay clean.

I hope he chooses a good path. I hope you find peace, regardless of what path he chooses.

Hugs
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All programs are good programs. Anyone who speaks badly about any program is foolish in my opinion. Even the Salvation Army does not force people to believe in the christian god. I knew an athiest gay man who went to the Sally and even though he did not find recovery, he walked away knowing he was loved by his HP.
Teen Challenge is the same way.
The only reason any kind of program has not worked for me is because I was not done using. Period. Why do we use? The answer is different for everyone, but until we find that answer within ourselves and eradicate the real, nasty, nitty gritty reason we use, we keep using... even after an extended amout of recovery time.

Im sorry you are going through this, I relapsed all summer on opiates and I know the devastation drugs cause.
My SO, D, (also an opiate addict) had something interesting to say in group "you guys all say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Thats fine and dandy for you, but we are addicts. Our insanity is different. We do the same thing over and over expecting the result to be the same, and we do it anyway."

Ive gotten D into treatment before, twice. Sent him to sober living... didnt matter. he got me into treatment at the beginning of the summer. Didnt matter. We have CRAFTed each other, no contacted each other, broken up, enabled, and now he is leaving in October to prison for years. None of it matters. There is nothing anyone can do for him or for me. We need to do it all by ourselves
I am so glad you decided he cant come home because it wouldnt be good for you. That is awesome recovery for you that I see. =]
I hope Im not quacking to much. Hugs to you! And stay strong.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm assuming that he wants to get help for himself because I can't imagine him wanting to die. Maybe he does. I hear it's the ultimate high for heroin addicts. That would be something me and my kids would be left with to deal with.
He is saying that if he relapses again he is going to kill himself. I believe that to be true and would like to believe that some kind of divine intervention will happen to prevent that. For some, it does. For others, it doesn't.
I'm hoping that he will find the reason he's using. He told me the last time I saw him that he he thinks he knows but even after 12 years together cannot tell me. Which I respect. I told him I don't need to know.
All of his family (except me) are active addicts. My kids may or may not be addicts when they get older. Because addiction runs so heavily on his side of the family. (a huge fear)All I can try to do is be the best mother I can possibly be.
If he chooses to not do the program then I will know that he's not serious about his life and will just end up killing himself. I think it's very sad that people give up on themselves. I think that if he had to live a life in prison that would be better than death for him. At least he wouldn't be wasting the gift of life God has given him. It's all his choice. I just have to focus on the very real reality that these things may happen. If they do, I have to be strong for my kids. I have to move forward. Thankfully I know my HP is taking care of me. That he has a plan for my life and that i'm loved unconditionally. All I can do is love him from afar (loving someone doesn't mean you have to be with them).
I'm just hoping, this time, he finds REAL friends and forms a good brotherhood among others that know where he's coming from. A house where drugs were always sold, and friends that mostly have all died from addiction. It's quite sad.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about Teen Challenge specifically, but they way you have described it, along with the way you have described your husbands background, and his strong foundations in faith - it seems like it would be a good match. I also agree that based on his history a long term treatment where he could really incorporate a whole new structure into his life (sort of like building a new strong foundation with support structure) would be very good. Plus, its close to you and that would be good because there could hopefully be a lot of contact between you.

In your other thread, you asked me what CBT is.. I will just answer it here. It is just a form of therapy that basically helps people deal with life, and learn new ways to change their behaviors. There are a lot of articles if you google it, but here is one that talks about how it can also be helpful with combination needs like substance abuse and depression:
Problem-Solving Therapy May Help Those Struggling with Depression and Substance Abuse | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

He may have already had some of this, but it is something that has helped my husband so I thought I would mention it.

My prayers are with all of you. Keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
He is saying that if he relapses again he is going to kill himself. I believe that to be true
My husband told me this too, along time before this relapse happened, he said he would never go back to living the way he was when he was using, he would never put me through it, he would kill himself first. I think he means it and it scares me a lot just like Im sure it does you.