So what if you love them too much

Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So what if you love them too much

So I've been struggling he's sober for now everything's going great so far. But I've been thinking I know it's not healthy or right to be with an addict that isn't serious about recovery or one that always relapses. But how do you get over them I still can't understand why they're so "addicting" to be with why they have that hold over you like no other man has. I love myself I truly do that's why I've left him in the dust a few times and carried on for myself but how do we learn to love a new sober normal man?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how do we learn to love a new sober normal man?
Two years after divorcing my AXH, I met and married my current husband. He is normal, responsible, loving, kind, and healthy. How did I learn to love him?

After my divorce I recognized something about myself.....I was lousy at picking men. I tended to lean toward the men who "needed me" because I wanted to be needed. For me, being needed = being loved. (Yeah....I know....messed up....right?). I dated on a referral basis only. I figured that other people were better pickers than I was. I also knew I wanted a man who was the complete opposite of my XAH. My current husband was a "referral" from a friend.

We've been married for 28 years.....happily. It is possible to love a normal man but first, I needed to recognize some stuff about myself.

They're out there.......(good men).......I wouldn't have recognized one if I saw him.....that's why I only dated on a referral basis. lol

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah my mom has told me I always pick men that need to be fixed or mommas boys an I turn into their new mother! I'm a natural helper and love to take care of people and make them feel good about themselves. My friends always ask me when am I going to do something for Leah!? I always feel selfish for putting me 1st and taking a day to myself! I had a bf before mine now and he was so sweet bent over backwards caring honest loyal and I threw him away because I don't know if I felt I didn't deserve it or if I thought he was too good to be true. I always have in my head that people are out to get me (stems from being adopted at 3 and my birth father denying I was his and signing me off, which I'm grateful for because I wouldn't have the amazing family that I do or beautiful life) I've got a lot of myself to discover. Right now my addict is doing good so far but is it wrong to walk away now after they have been doing well?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

make your choices based on what is best FOR YOU not on what you think might be best FOR HIM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My friends always ask me when am I going to do something for Leah!?
Listen to your friends. They care about you.....and that's a very good question!!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think fear is what makes me stuck on other addicts.
One of my favorite quotes is "perfect love casts out fear."

I remember when D went to rehab, these were my thoughts:
When he gets better he wont need me anymore
Maybe he had "beer goggles" on the whole time and won't even like me anymore
Etc etc etc...

If I chose a strong, independent man, then I might not be wanted by him. For me, I found out through a lot of deep digging, that in making sure I was needed, that was how I protected myself from being abandoned.

I think that the way we learn to love a new man or a recovering man is to first love our own life and recovery.
Im not there yet, but I just take it one day at a time.