Narcissistic Drug Addict

Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Narcissistic Drug Addict

As a codependent I am always looking at literature and articles on why I am this way and why I do what I do. Earlier this week I came across an amazing article on Narcissistic's and I am sure that my partner has a lot of these traits which seems quite scary. As he is also a dual drug addict I also searched for Narcissistic drug addicts and there are some really informative bits of information regarding this, some Narcissists become drug addicts to medicate their fears and so that they can try to hide their real self.

I was just wondering if any one else was with a drug addicted Narcissist and if so what steps did you take to protect your emotional state? Has anyone else heard of this, have they experienced the wrath of a Narcissist before?

Many thanks xxx
Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

lol I've never met an addict who wasn't. Selfishness and self-centeredness are the root of our problem. All 12-step recovery programs are based on becoming self-less and humble, ie coming to the realization that we are not God.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I posted about narcissists recently and have been reflecting on my experience of them as well.

I have to say that I was almost always blindsided by them. I mean to say, I thought everything would be going well but at any moment in time, the narcissistic person could turn a withering stare on me and or send a withering comment my way, and I would be so shaken I couldn't respond.

Many people fall easily and quickly in love with narcissists because someone who is narcissistic uses warmth and charm initially to create the relationship he wants, a relationship he expects will serve him. So in the early days, the narcissist can be warm and attentive and the partner thinks it is because he feels such deep affection and regard for her. This is true of people with the psychological disorder of Narcissism and also of many people who are in active addiction and operate as narcissists.

It is an enchantment, the early experience of a narcissist. And the partner just never sees it coming, the first withering look or degrading comment. It comes out of the blue, in my experience. And I had no defense because I was so unprepared.

But I have to say that it is absolutely true for me the adage that the body doesn't lie.

Because every time a narcissist has cut me down, I have felt sick inside. My body reacted as if I had just stepped in front of a rattlesnake. Sick with fear.

On this forum are so many people who did not or do not listen to their bodies. And one way I will know, in the future, if a person is dangerous to me, is if I feel sick inside after a person has behaved in a way that at the moment I cannot understand nor process.

My bet is that if it happens, it will be a narcissist, drugged or sober.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

EG,
You are wise!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden View Post
But I have to say that it is absolutely true for me the adage that the body doesn't lie.

Because every time a narcissist has cut me down, I have felt sick inside. My body reacted as if I had just stepped in front of a rattlesnake. Sick with fear.

On this forum are so many people who did not or do not listen to their bodies...

I've been reading recently about some (newly rediscovered) evidence that there's a network of neurons in a layer of tissue that surrounds our guts (basically the stomach area), much like a secondary brain. Granted, it's much less complex than the brain in our heads, but it seems to be used for processing certain types of feelings. [I don't want to say much more because I'm really not qualified.] Chinese medicine points to the gut as the center of our feelings, and in occidental culture we talk about what our gut tells us to do....

To me, I found that one of my biggest problems was that I was thinking about my feelings, and feeling about my thoughts. I had it mixed up, doing the wrong thing in regards to both my thoughts and my feelings. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly: I heard my body, I heard the warnings, but I didn't allow myself to FEEL. I always defaulted to THINKING, which wasn't the appropriate response.

I believe that I'm starting to respond more appropriately now, thanks to the work I've done over the past three years. I feel less alien and more connected to myself, and I'm letting myself really feel, finally.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden View Post
Many people fall easily and quickly in love with narcissists because someone who is narcissistic uses warmth and charm initially to create the relationship he wants, a relationship he expects will serve him. So in the early days, the narcissist can be warm and attentive and the partner thinks it is because he feels such deep affection and regard for her. This is true of people with the psychological disorder of Narcissism and also of many people who are in active addiction and operate as narcissists.
My relationship with my exABF started exactly like that, he was so nice and genuine and "honest", I thought. Then with time he became a monster, which I thought was because of his relapsing and use of a mix of heroin, coke, crack, weed. But no, with time I realized it was just he being himself.

I know it is difficult to let go of a relationship with a person like that, because somehow you are waiting for the charmer and nice guy that you fell in love with to return at any moment. I waited for years and he didn't come back. I went away to get my life back.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiSoberbio View Post
I've been reading recently about some (newly rediscovered) evidence that there's a network of neurons in a layer of tissue that surrounds our guts (basically the stomach area), much like a secondary brain.
That's the enteric nervous system.