break threw!!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

break threw!!!!!

So excited. I got him to go to a meeting! Is it good for me to go with? Found out that we have one just a block over and he asked me to go with him. First meeting ever!

But we both are sick from this methadone and hes talking about gon to the hospital to tell them he gana kill himself so that they will admit him and win him off it. I don't think that sounds like a good idea. Should he do that?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TMZ

Since he invited you or asked you to go, go with him. But normally it is best to let the addict do it themselves. they feel more free to share and open up.
A Nar-Anon meeting would help you.

If he has thoughts of suicide let him go to the hospital. But if he is just wanting to get off the methadone all he needs to do is tell the Dr or counselor at the clinic and they will start weaning him down. It is a slow process but it works and they will help him through it.

I know your excited but baby steps. One step at a time. This is a life long disease. You have made good progress. Now work with the steps.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I'm glad that he has decided to go to a meeting, instead of going with him, I would highly suggest that you find an alanon meeting to attend on your own.. A lot of AA and NA meetings are closed which means that only addicts and alcoholics are allowed to attend..

Maybe if he his showing signs that he is serious about recovery then I would attend an open AA or NA meeting with him to gain perspective from the other side..

As for him lying to the hospital about wanting to kill himself to get off the methadone.. Bad idea hon.. Suicide is no joking matter.. He just needs to he truthful with them about what's going on.. They see cases like this all the time.. They can safely detox him without all the unnecessary drama..
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We don't have a regular doc so if he jus goes in and tells them the truth will they still help him?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like the other posts, I also recommend him to talk to a doctor and tell him that he wants to leave methadone, so they will start reducing the amount he takes.

And about the meetings, it is great that he wants to go, hopefully he will find more support and other experiences that can help him in his way to recovery.

Remember that this process is a "one day at a time" thing and that you also should remember to take care of yourself. My best wishes to you two xx.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TMZ

The clinic has A Dr as well as a phycologist he sees witch he see's at least every other week. Plus they should have weekly group consoling that he suppose to attend.

Yes they will help him ween down. But it takes a long time. ( about half as long as he has been on it) Have him sign a permission forum to allow them to talk to you. Then you can speak with the Dr and find out how it's going and how his drops and blood tests are. They usually like to talk with family members so they can learn more.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by mich0020 View Post
We don't have a regular doc so if he jus goes in and tells them the truth will they still help him?
Yes if it's a methadone clinic they will help him ween off of it..
Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The ER will be a revolving door. The psych unit (for suicidal folk) won't help him wean off. In fact, may release him early. I'd encourage (like other folks here) the methodone clinic.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great News hun first steps are always the biggest xxoo