thought this page wasnt for bashing

Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thought this page wasnt for bashing

I came to this sight to finally talk to people who could relate to my situation iv only been on here for a couple of days but iv found that this one person is bashing on everything I say. Looks like there is honestly nowhere safe to turn to in this world. Im am very hurt and disappointed by this person. I get enough criticism by my family n friends bc they don't understand. I was so excited that I found this sight I felt relief that I found a safe place to come to for advice n to jus talk to people who could actually relate to me. I now feel regret for even sharing my story.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mich

If someones posting things to you you don't think are helpful, you can use the ignore function on that person

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If you think someone is breaking a rule, or you see a problem, report it to forum staff immediately by hitting the report button on the post in question and then let us review the problem and take the appropriate actions.

Dee
SR
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much I will do this. Im still learning how to use the sight so I appreciate the advice. Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im sorry but im having a hard time figuring out how to use the ignore option
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't do it for you I'm afraid....don't have that power

See where people names are on every post?

find a post by the person you want to ignore, click their name and a drop down menu will appear.

as you scroll down, the last option is 'add to your ignore list'

D
Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awwh Im sorry this has happened I joined this sight a few days ago as well everyone I have meet or commented has been very caring and helpful keep with it I found a quote I found helpful to me the other day it was 'be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle'
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will get different opinions here. Take what you want and leave the rest. The fact is the only person you can change is yourself. Your bf will change when he is ready and not according to your schedule. Best wishes on your journey.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It could be that person is just telling you something you don't want to hear right now.
When I am bristled by a particular poster...I stop and ask myself why it bothers me.
There is usually something I need to work on and they are bringing it to the surface.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Mich, people here are trying to help you. I read through all your posts and the responses and what you need to know is that sometimes when others here are trying to help you it hurts, because it may not be what you want to hear. I know when I first came I didn't understand and thought nobody here had any idea what I was going through...but it turned out that every one of them did.

Click on the link below and read this and see if it doesn't help you understand.

Members cannot bash you here, and you cannot bash members either. The rules say we must all respect each other, even when we don't agree. Or we can ignore, as has been suggested but we cannot be disrespectful.

If anyone thinks they have been disrespected, then they should click on the little "report" triangle on the left and report the post to the moderators here, who will look and decide if action needs to take place. We don't have it out on the forums, we privately address each concern.

I am glad you joined us and hope you find some comfort and wisdom here....they are not always the same thing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-they-do.html
Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mich0020 View Post

this one person is bashing on everything I say.
you can hit the report this post button on the left side

moderators may act and remove said post

I have used it a time or two and they did a great job

of removing the posts and warning the problem one

MB
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The " why people respond the way they do" sticky is a great read. The ignore button is good too.

I find myself sitting on my hands quite often lately. When I came here I was in full denial of my own addiction. I thought I had it under control and that only my BF had the problem. I'm not like "their addicts " but I am. I really am.

It is hard to speak truth here without causing pain, because everything about all of our situations is so painful already.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just wanted to apologize to mich0020 and to everyone on this forum as well as the wonderful moderators, Ann, kindeyes, Dee, Amy, Deserteyes and all here on SR.

This site has been an awesome resource for me. I signed up as a member last year while I was still very much into active addiction and would primarily read the posts trying to gain inspiration to quit using. Then, 5 months ago when I actually hit my "bottom" and decided to open up to my husband about my addiction and confess my infidelity I began posting. I have been extremely fortunate that I have a family that has forgiven me and has been very supportive. (Not to be confused with enabling) I know with absolute conviction that they would not have put up with my addictive behaviors one more day. They were at that place where I'm sure many of you have finally reached where they felt they had no other choice but to leave me. I knew that and that had a lot to do with my reaching my personal "bottom" and seeking help.

Anyway, I owe my gratitude to my family, my IOP counselor and all the members who have taken the time to post on this forum. I have learned so much more about my own addiction to pain pills and how addiction devastates families and loved ones. The wisdom, support and insight on all sides of this forum have made a huge difference in my recovery.

I reread my posts from last night and realized that the way I wrote them were not very positive and rather blunt. Perhaps I was tired and did not consider how new and vulnerable mich was and did not think about how my post would be interpreted. I had a professor who once said whenever writing something always keep your audience in mind. That is so true and apparently, I did not do that last night. So, again, I am very sorry that my posts hurt someone who was only reaching out for help at a time when she probably felt like her world was crashing down upon her. I hope that she and anyone else I may have offended will forgive me.

Clean
Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

cleaninLI
We all post based upon our own experience.....and sometimes that experience is pretty painful. Everyone here has the choice to take what they need and leave (or store) the rest. Sometimes.....when we are more grounded in our own recovery process, we want to speed up the process for others......it rekindles our own anguish to read about theirs.

Everyone here has a story to tell......and we can all learn from one another.

I'm glad you're here.

gentle hugs
ke