Ironic

Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ironic

Anyone who wants to read some of what I've gone through with my addicted exgf can check out my other posts.

The ironic thing is that some of the people who have been most supportive through all of this are addicts who are in recovery. These are all people I didn't even know when they were using and I didn't meet through any sort of program. One is the daughter of a friend, two are my co-workers, one works at my friends restaurant, one is an ex girlfriend now long time friend. All of these people have years of sobriety and are living "normal" productive lives. They have opened up a lot to me since learning about what I'm going through. They have all added a lot of insight into behaviors. Surprisingly they have way less compassion and empathy than I do for an addict that is hurting people. They are all very black and white in saying if the person wants help they will change if not leave them alone and forget about them. Basically I guess the message is that although the people standing before me display no traits of an addict and I never could have guessed they ever were addicts and even criminals I should hold out no hope that someone in active addiction will be changing any time soon if ever. I can say a prayer but that is about it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I always envy those who can see more clearly than I. I too have learned from recovering addicts, double winners and many who went before me, and I am grateful to every one.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're surrounded by some honest and caring people.

I've also had those who've been supportive and spoken honestly to me; at first, I was not so ready to hear some of what was said. With hindsight, I now am grateful that what they shared helped me to see the light.