Rehab

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

My boyfriend is going to a 6 month rehab. It's 4 months inpatient and 2 outpatient. What are your takes on rehabs?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a learning experience. So no matter what, one can learn tools there to help themselves.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine did the same and left after 3 months. I am looking into rehab as well. Its a frightening thing for us. Hugs to you. If he wants to do it then he will and it will help. If he doesn't then it won't. Only he knows.no matter what he says
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I guess we'll see. It was his idea. I didn't even know about this place. I hadn't even mention rehab to him. So..idk
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

most of them are great for the addict that really wants recovery. My son is about two months in at one. This is rehab #4 . The guy who did the intake interview told him "this place will save your life, if you let it" He also said "we give you enough rope to hang yourself, if that's what you are bent on doing". I'll be honest, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had gotten kicked out that first week or two.

They know it only works if the addict really wants it and oftentimes the addict himself/herself doesn't even really know. It's a tremendous spiritual and physical battle within. My son seems to be doing well ... He's in a good place today, and for today I am thankful!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there were times when I was using that I wished fervently that someone would INTERVENE and send me off to a 30 day rehab. that someone, outside of ME, would SAVE me. when I, as an addict, hear of someone getting the CHANCE to be in treatment and turning it down..i don't understand.

but I do. if you aren't READY to be done, you won't be done. if you aren't ready to QUIT, you'll find a reason/excuse to use, no matter how lame that excuse might be. if it allows me to give in one more time....i'll make it sound like Kate Smith singing God Bless America!!!

rehab...recovery...sobriety....quitting....staying quit...it only works if the addict is ready to work it. and KEEP working it. for life. no more. ever. not if it's free, not even if you were guaranteed nothing bad would happen, not just once, not just a little, not just tomorrow i'll quit....NOW. and forever.

that's a tough line to cross. and even when you cross it...that LINE, that marker between sobriety and using, might get farther away as we trudge the happy road to destiny (AA Big Book), but it never GOES AWAY. it's always and forever exactly ONE bad decision away. stopping isn't the tough part....STAYING stopped is.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
there were times when I was using that I wished fervently that someone would INTERVENE and send me off to a 30 day rehab. that someone, outside of ME, would SAVE me. when I, as an addict, hear of someone getting the CHANCE to be in treatment and turning it down..i don't understand.

but I do. if you aren't READY to be done, you won't be done. if you aren't ready to QUIT, you'll find a reason/excuse to use, no matter how lame that excuse might be. if it allows me to give in one more time....i'll make it sound like Kate Smith singing God Bless America!!!

rehab...recovery...sobriety....quitting....staying quit...it only works if the addict is ready to work it. and KEEP working it. for life. no more. ever. not if it's free, not even if you were guaranteed nothing bad would happen, not just once, not just a little, not just tomorrow i'll quit....NOW. and forever.

that's a tough line to cross. and even when you cross it...that LINE, that marker between sobriety and using, might get farther away as we trudge the happy road to destiny (AA Big Book), but it never GOES AWAY. it's always and forever exactly ONE bad decision away. stopping isn't the tough part....STAYING stopped is.
I love this. It's so true. It is completely up to him if he wants to fully embrace it or hang himself. Time will tell. He did the 3 month substance abuse program while in jail (his choice) and is choosing to do this 6 month program. So over all hell have 9 months worth of treatment and hopefully a year clean before setting out into the "real" world again.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What are your takes on rehabs?
It works if they work it.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The success of any rehab, whether free or expensive, is directly related to the resident's willingness to find and maintain sobriety.

I do believe that long term, such as you suggest (4 months in and 2 months followup outpatient) seems to help more than 28 day programs. Both work or don't work depending on the person's willingness, but the longer program recognized that it takes time for the brain to stabilize and begin to heal and can work closely with the person through the most difficult times.

I wish your boyfriend the best of luck and both of you brighter days ahead.

Hugs