Bummed

Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bummed

I went no contact with AB a couple months ago while he was in jail awaiting court dates.

His birthday is next week so I thought I would send him a card (discussed at length with my therapist before making that decision). I called the jail to see if he would still be there as timing wise I thought he should be done with court and sentencing by now.

Found out he was transferred to prison today and he will probably be there for several years. Totally surprised me as the info I had previously was one of the pleas was halfway house time.

I don't know why I am so shocked, I guess I thought as a first time offender and an addict that he would be worked through some of the programs or drug court for a bit (he failed his first chance by using a couple weeks in).

Guess not.

I think I am still having trouble grasping that my independent self employed hard working creative brother from a few years ago is now off to prison without a cent to his name or any possessions. Crazy fracken drugs.

Well, he will have some clean time under his belt I suppose. What he does with the future beyond that is up to him and his higher power. I hope he finds his path through this mess he created.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quick side note, I DO think my brother should face the consequences of his actions, just was hoping that it was tied with more treatment rather then just being locked up. Definitely not discounting what he did, having never dealt with the justice system or drug charges before I think my expectations were off.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

It does seem harsh for a first time offender. Could there have possibly been previous offenses that you are not aware of? Either way though prison is not the best situation, there are programs available that he can take advantage of including drug classes, furthering his education, or perhaps even learning a marketable trade. He gets to choose whether he just wants to be warehoused, or actually does something with his time.

I would send the card, but be aware that this may lead him to believe that you will also be willing to put money on his books and advocate on his behalf.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was a dealing charge (small amount) which carries a pretty significant mandatory sentence in our state. So while it was definitely his first charge, it was a doozy.

That is my biggest concern about sending a card, opening up that door a bit could backfire. I am prepared to reinforce my boundaries if needed. He has respected my no contact request, and happy about that, but I still care a lot about him and want him to know I love him.

lil brothers....don't know if you should smack them up side the head or hug them some days.