just say no

Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just say no

well I managed something today.

D called and left a voicemail because his mom is out of town and his laundry has piled up.

"Im not really asking you to do it for me, but can I bring it over and will you teach me how to do it myself?"

I should have stayed silent but I sent a text instead:

1. gather all your quarters and tif you don't have laundry detergent then a teaspoon of dishsoap just ONE teaspoon will work fine.
2. sort by color, linnens and towels
3. carry down to laundrymat at your complex.
4. put quarters clothes and soap in machine. keep it safe and wash everything on cold
5. switch to dryer
6. fold, hang and put away.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he's how old again?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

My husband didn't know how to do laundry until a couple years ago. In one of my finer moments I took a magic marker and wrote the instructions on the washer and dryer. I eventually got it off...and now when I'm away he is now perfectly capable of doing it himself. It's all about empowering others and not making them needy and dependent.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

he is 25. I remember that was one of my first chores as a kid
Old 05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate, Lily. When we separated, my XH (not an addict, but with issues of his own) was 38 and had absolutely NO IDEA how to do his own laundry, because like D, his Mom always did it (even when he had his own apartment) and then once we lived together, I always did it. And I had to show him like 50 TIMES how to do it until he finally (at least for the most part) got it. As I said in another thread, I knew divorcing him was the right decision for both of us and that was one of the reasons why - he was a 38 year old man who had no idea how to do his own laundry, cook for himself, pay his bills, coordinate his clothes, etc. (Although, I can't say for sure that he hasn't resorted back to having his Mom do his laundry, lol....but that's not my business and not my concern.) Glad you didn't give in and agree to have him come over (because you know it most likely would have resulted in you doing it for him, plus it would have opened that door for him to try and hook you again)....at least the way you did it, he can't say you didn't help him (even though it would have been perfectly fine to refuse if you had wanted to!!), and he now has NO EXCUSE for not doing it himself.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Avil took the words right out of my mouth! lol!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job!

I think the text was perfect, Lily. You made your point. I especially like the all-purpose COLD instruction too--very thoughtful!

I get the silent thing, yes, but it's still great how you handled it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

....my evil side 'sez you should have told him to mix colors and whites together
on hot with a whole bottle of bleach.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wanted to add:

and if you spent all your quarters on dope then go panhandle on the freeway. Be sure to buy some oxyclean next time you go to the store, it works wonders on the black tar stains.

I somehow refrained.

lol vale