What if?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What if?

Friday, May 31, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

What If?

I was talking to a friend one day about something I planned to do. Actually, I was worrying about how one particular person might react to what I intended to do.

"What if he doesn't handle it very well?" I asked.

"Then," my friend replied, "you're going to have to handle it well."

What if's can make us crazy. They put control over our life in someone else's hands. What if's are a sign that we have reverted to thinking that people have to react in a particular way for us to continue on our course.

What if's are also a clue that we may be wondering whether we can trust ourselves and our Higher Power to do what's best for us. These are shreds of codependent ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, and they signal fear.

The reactions, feelings, likes or dislikes of others don't have to control our behaviors, feelings, and direction. We don't need to control how others react to our choices. We can trust ourselves, with help from a Higher Power, to handle any outcome - even the most uncomfortable. And, my friend, we can trust ourselves to handle it well.

Today, I will not worry about other people's reactions or events outside of my control. Instead, I will focus on my reactions. I will handle my life well today and trust that, tomorrow, I can do the same.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I needed this reminder right now. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amen, sister. The "what if's" kept me stuck in fear for years. The "coulda, woulda, shoulda's" took me back each time I tried to move ahead.

Taking the "what if's" all the way through...and looking at worst case scenario is what let me move past it because faith taught me to be strong, to have courage and let myself be led, knowing that whatever happened, I would be okay. And I am.

"What if's" mean fear, faith is the antidote to fear...so just for today I will walk in faith and let life unfold as it may.

Hugs
Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful. I would often sugarcoat things, beat around the bush, hide, avoid, act defensively, or manipulate because I was worried about someone else's reaction to something. I still catch myself doing that.......(lots of work to do on me yet!!)......all because I was worried about the other person's reaction. It has taken me a long time to figure out that I don't own their reaction. But I do own mine.

I love that. I didn't do that well last Sunday. I let my husband's poor reaction to something color my entire day. That's on me.

gentle hugs
ke