Worth and Behavior

Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What timing! I just finished reading a vile article:

A violent offender was released early from an Alaska prison. 12 hours later he murdered two great grandparents; he raped the woman and raped their 18 month old great grandchild.

The only worth I can attribute to him, is that he serves as a reminder that evil exists.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been thinking a lot about worth, lately.

I recently went "no contact" with someone I had shared my life with for four years. It was a long, difficult process to get there, but even though I still feel moments of remorse, I also feel myself opening up to the world again, and it's a good place to be. I take full responsibility for my own suffering and every decision I made during that period, but I cannot discount my partner's active addiction as the mitigating factor – no matter how much I tried to focus on myself and "live and let live," the insanity, the lies, the manipulation, the violence, and the constant confusion that followed my partner like a shadow had made my life unrecognizable.... so I chose myself over him.

Legna, I think it's wonderful that your wife is actively focusing on her recovery now; may you both continue in a positive direction. I remember a post of yours a while back, where you stated that you choose to stay with your wife, even in active addiction, even if that means that the two of you end up living under a bridge (or something to that effect). Obviously, I chose a different path in regards to my relationship and I don't feel like I am less compassionate for my choice, and I don't feel that my choice indicates that I believe my companion is worthless.

In my NarAnon groups I've encountered partners of addicted persons who are in active recovery and many of them have healthy, fulfilling relationships. They all seem to understand that each one has issues to deal with and respect each other to do their own, individual work.... But that's not what happened with me. My (ex)partner continues in active addiction and is in the streets, again. After years of trying to pull him out of that world, sometimes literally, I had to give up.

But by "give up" I don't mean give up on him, as a human, as someone that I loved and will continue to feel love for – I mean give up on MY FANTASY, my "ideal world" where everything works out if only I try hard enough. Where I am the Maker of all that exists, where I am responsible for all that happens.... As I follow my path of personal recovery, I find that more and more the core issue is accepting reality. REALITY. I must accept what is real, because I am real and I live in Reality, no matter how much I may try to deny it.

There's something I was taught years ago in a life-saving class (of course!!) that I found hard to accept back then, and with distance (and recovery) I can understand why: It was a class on how to be a lifeguard and we were practicing techniques to save drowning victims. In a situation where a person who is drowning becomes violent of otherwise endangers the life/safety of a lifeguard, the "right" thing to do is to disengage. If that means that the other person does not survive, then so be it.

For me, now, the metaphor is obvious, but I didn't like thinking about that in terms of my relationship with my ex-partner. I didn't "like" it. It wasn't the kind of world I wanted. I wanted another reality. I wanted things to be how I wanted them to be. In my head, I was manipulating reality to make it jive with what I wanted.... and what WAS it that I wanted? Was it my partner's recovery/cure? NO. What I wanted was some sort of balm to soothe the pain that filled my soul every time that I felt the least bit lonely, every time that uncertainty flashed a smile at me, or when something – anything – began to deteriorate, to fall apart.

Am I going off-topic? I don't think so. I saw myself going down a road where I, too, would be living with my partner under a bridge, completely and utterly consumed by my fear of reality. I was on the edge of insanity.

I pray for my former companion and I hope that he one day finds recovery. His worth is the same as any other human, which is the same as mine, because I am like any other human. I am not God, I am not the Maker.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Legna,

when I read your post last night, it reminded me of another thread from a while back, but I didnt have time to look it up last night. I think there are similiarities here in regards to what you are personally trying to explore:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ou-think.html?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

An addicted person could come to believe they are completely worthless, I did, which just makes matters worse. Positive affirmations are a way to overcome negative attitudes about yourself.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by legna
What I would like to focus on is the last part I mentioned: "My worth is separate from my behavior."
Oh man legna..

Remember the biker guy here in town I mentioned in a thread a while back? The one with "White America" proudly displayed across the windshield of his bike? Because of his behaviors, he is not worthy of my respect. I think he's a bona fide idiot. Does that mean he has no worth? Well, I'm sure he is someone's son, father, partner and may have some value to someone, but he has no worth to me.

Things can have worth, then lose their value when desirable characteristics fade or disappear. That $20 you spoke of has no value once it is torn into bits. It's worth is gone.

To what extent can I separate my worth from my behavior? If I lie to you, am I worthy of your trust? Do characteristics like dependability, integrity, trustworthiness, loyalty matter? Those characteristics are based on consistent action/behaviors.

So, no, I do not think that my worth is wholly separate from my behavior.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

well when speaking of worth here is how I see it:

my belief system says that even though we are worthless we are loved anyway.

an example would be the two bouquets of flowers I got for mothers day. The first was a dozen roses in a beautiful vase from the florist. It was worth at least $60. The second was made by my 6 year old daughter out of some cheap wire and tissue paper. probably worth less than $5, but the second set of flowers was worth so much more to me.

I am a despicable human being. I have lied, cheated, stolen, used drugs, been a stripper, lost my temper, been down the wrong path, manipulated people I love and more, but my HP takes me as I am.

I am worth dying for to my HP.

even in all of my nasty wrongdoing.

living with addiction as a loved one is like living in the Deep South of the United States, or in Tornado Alley. It is not a matter of IF the tornado or Hurricane will come but WHEN.
some refuse to build a house in such a dangerous place at all. Others run for the hills when they see signs of a storm brewing and evacuate. Still others board up windows and crouch down in the cellar until the storm blows over. When the storm passes, some houses are heavily damaged, others only lose a tree or some roof shingles, and many lie dead (emotionally or physically) under the ruins of their lives.

Does the beachfront property of the Gulf Coast still have land value in spite of the weather? yes. it does.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Chino View Post

A violent offender was released early from an Alaska prison. 12 hours later he murdered two great grandparents; he raped the woman and raped their 18 month old great grandchild.

The only worth I can attribute to him, is that he serves as a reminder that evil exists.

I absolutely agree.

Lately, the Jodi Arias case has had me questioning my value system. Although, I am not a big supporter of the death penalty, there are some cases when I wouldn't disagree with it.

Is her life worth sparing? 8 people said no, 4 thought yes. IMO, she, as well as her behavior, are just evil but I would never want to make the choice if she was to live or die. That's just not a decision I feel capable of doing.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Hello peoples. First a quick update, my wife completed her 28 day inpatient treatment and is home and doing well and has forty-seven days clean today. During her inpatient, she had to say a few words before she spoke in group or counseling, etc., - sort of an affirmation. It began, "I am a woman worthy of love, honor, trust, dignity and respect." To which the group would reply, "Yes, you are." The affirmation continued, "My worth is separate from my behavior." to which the group would reply, "Yes, it is." and then continue with one more that I forget at the moment.

What I would like to focus on is the last part I mentioned: "My worth is separate from my behavior."

Both here and in Nar-anon, I see two basic groups of folks. There are those who are still at the stage of trying to control the addicts behavior and then there are those who are concentrating on their own behavior (and thoughts and feelings, etc). Those in the second group tend to say things such as, "It's only their actions that count." or "Why would you want to be with an addict in the first place?" or...or...

While I would like to concentrate on my behavior, thoughts, feelings, etc and make them more healthy moving forward, I am curious what others feel about this particular affirmation? Those with children who are addicts of course tend to see the value in their child much more than those who have a boyfriend or girlfriend, husband or wife who is an addict...but it brings me to my question, do we have a tendency to devalue the worth of the person who is an addict? Do you agree that the addicts worth is separate from their behavior?

Thanks. And if you're waiting to see what others have to say before responding - please don't. I'm on so many ignore lists in friends and family that if you can read this you are part of an ever shrinking group!
Actions do count, and I am allowed to distance myself from people who hurt me because I have worth also.

Everybody has worth, codependents and addicts alike, but not at the expense of other people. The assertion that I have to allow myself to be mistreated in order to be considered compassionate directly implies that I am less worthy of compassion than whoever is mistreating me.

I think both addiction and codependency indicate a lack of self-worth, and as such this type of self-affirmation is a good exercise for each of us individually. I don't think the exercise is effective as an attempt to modify the behavior of others, and at least in your wife's case, that's not how it was applied.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post

Incredibly ironic, I just spoke to a woman who is on the parole board about this fellow over the weekend.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiSoberbio View Post

Legna, I think it's wonderful that your wife is actively focusing on her recovery now; may you both continue in a positive direction. I remember a post of yours a while back, where you stated that you choose to stay with your wife, even in active addiction, even if that means that the two of you end up living under a bridge (or something to that effect). Obviously, I chose a different path in regards to my relationship and I don't feel like I am less compassionate for my choice, and I don't feel that my choice indicates that I believe my companion is worthless.
I just wanted to say that I believe that yours is a completely valid choice (not that you need my approval of course), as is mine. My question was more about curiosity because I couldn't anticipate the responses. So I've learned things about others thought processes during shared experiences (loving an addict) by asking. Above is was suggested that I might be over analyzing things and while that may be, I'm an analytical sort who gets great pleasure from thinking, analyzing and philosophizing. I think that people are people - built of the same stuff but go off in six billion different directions and when I learn about their thought processes - I learn about my own potential...in one direction or another.

Originally Posted by MiSoberbio View Post
Am I going off-topic? I don't think so.
Nor do I - this is the type of response I live for....thank you.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Oh man legna..

Remember the biker guy here in town I mentioned in a thread a while back? The one with "White America" proudly displayed across the windshield of his bike? Because of his behaviors, he is not worthy of my respect. I think he's a bona fide idiot. Does that mean he has no worth? Well, I'm sure he is someone's son, father, partner and may have some value to someone, but he has no worth to me.

Things can have worth, then lose their value when desirable characteristics fade or disappear. That $20 you spoke of has no value once it is torn into bits. It's worth is gone.

To what extent can I separate my worth from my behavior? If I lie to you, am I worthy of your trust? Do characteristics like dependability, integrity, trustworthiness, loyalty matter? Those characteristics are based on consistent action/behaviors.

So, no, I do not think that my worth is wholly separate from my behavior.
I see a bunch of pm's in our future as I explore this one with you if you're willing.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
an example would be the two bouquets of flowers I got for mothers day. The first was a dozen roses in a beautiful vase from the florist. It was worth at least $60. The second was made by my 6 year old daughter out of some cheap wire and tissue paper. probably worth less than $5, but the second set of flowers was worth so much more to me.
I try to understand everyones point of view - sometimes I take an adversarial position so that others will clarify their position more - there might be a better way but I spent an awful lot of time on a debate team in school and the method stuck. That said, it would be a long debate with anyone who took the position that the $60 gift was worth more. I hate to think that I couldn't eventually see someone elses view but this one would be a challenge.

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
I am a despicable human being. I have lied, cheated, stolen, used drugs, been a stripper, lost my temper, been down the wrong path, manipulated people I love and more, but my HP takes me as I am.
I do not claim to be higher power-like in any capacity but I'll take you as you are too. For what it's worth; I've read your posts - including this description and have never found you to be anything like despicable. I've done some despicable things too but, like you I'd guess, I'm forgiven.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interrupted View Post
Actions do count, and I am allowed to distance myself from people who hurt me because I have worth also.
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by interrupted View Post
Everybody has worth, codependents and addicts alike, but not at the expense of other people. The assertion that I have to allow myself to be mistreated in order to be considered compassionate directly implies that I am less worthy of compassion than whoever is mistreating me.
I agree with this wholeheartedly - I really do. At the core of this question - and probably any others that I've asked is simply trying to discover what holds me back from loving those who do not do or behave as I like....or perhaps even moreso, what makes me a victim in such relationships. Is it their behavior or my thinking. My recovery journey thus far tells me that it is always my thinking. I'm thinking once again of the big book of alcoholics anonymous quote in Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict that states in part:

“And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation — some fact of my life–unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.”
Can the word 'disturbed' be replaced with 'expense' as you used it above? I think it can and I think it should for ME. Hearing other peoples explanations for why it is not so in their lives is equally valuable to me as those who give explanations for why it IS so in their lives. Without looking at the whole picture - the whole spectrum, I end up with a myopic view and (for me) I tend to get tunnel vision.

Can I feel complete serenity in the middle of the firestorm of active addiction? I don't know but I aspire to be able to do so...even if I do not hope for a firestorm. Anywho, just exploring to find my path and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Really, though I've quoted the above before - even in this forum, I've lost sight of why I was asking the questions for a moment and your post brought me back to it.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

To what extent can I separate my worth from my behavior? If I lie to you, am I worthy of your trust?
Couldn't wait for a PM as my mind has been completely occupied with this since I walked away from the computer. It finally came up with an answer to what's been nagging at it since I read this. It came in the form of an old parable:

The little boy was walking down a path and he came across a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." The little boy thought about it and finally picked up that rattlesnake and took it close to his chest and carried it up to the top of the mountain.

They sat there and watched the sunset together. It was so beautiful. Then after sunset the rattlesnake turned to the little boy and asked, "Can I go home now? I am tired, and I am old." The little boy picked up the rattlesnake and again took it to his chest and held it tightly and safely. He came all the way down the mountain holding the snake carefully and took it to his home to give him some food and a place to sleep. The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." The little boy felt he had been safe all this time and the snake had kept his word, so he would take it home as asked.

He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
Is the rattlesnake in the story not worthy of trust? You may not be able to trust its words but, and the moral of the story is that, you can trust its nature. So, we can trust the nature of the active addict to behave accordingly and lying is part of the nature of addiction. BUT...I only get bit if I bury my head in the sand and choose to believe that the prefrontal cortex is speaking when in fact it is the lizard brain.

If I realize that the active addict is going to act according to his or her nature, and separate the two of them, then I can nurture, love and honor the person without taking it personally when it strikes at me...and, knowing that this is likely, I can take precautions, i.e. set internal and external boundaries by cultivating awareness, to prevent an attempt to strike from hitting its target.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Dang it! I go through that whole post and miss the point I started off trying to make and so....

To what extent can I separate my worth from my behavior? If I lie to you, am I worthy of your trust? .
The point that I was trying to make is: Who is the 'I' you are referring to when you ask that question? Like we discussed in a recent PM, (and I'm only sharing from my part of that discussion):

I am my higher power, which is sacrilege to a twelve stepper. Becoming the 'true me' is a spiritual journey for me - but one without an external higher power. And so... yes, it remains a spiritual journey for me but it is primarily a closed system...starts and ends with me. Except that's not completely right either... okay, let's try this: Me without ego is not me. I mean, without ego there can be no me and so what the heck do I call what is left? Whatever that is...the super-consciousness seems to be (based on various fascinating experiments) some sort of connection with others. With the ego gone, there is nothing which separates me from others.
I put the whole paragraph in there for context but I'm referring specifically the bold part. Me without ego is me without the 'I'. So, in your question, "If I lie to you..." speaks directly to the ego. If this consciousness wrapped up in ego that is called soberlicious lies to the ego that is legna...can I trust soberlicious? No. Can I trust your true self? Absolutely. Who do I choose to see? It's easy to see the driver of the car (embodiment of this particular bag of consciousness) but it's a choice if I make it one. To quote the twelve steppers: It's a simple program but not easy.

Anywho...just ramblings from my perspective.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

So many dangerous messages on this thread.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I love the parable.

If this consciousness wrapped up in ego that is called soberlicious lies to the ego that is legna...can I trust soberlicious? No. Can I trust your true self? Absolutely. Who do I choose to see?
If I realize that the active addict is going to act according to his or her nature, and separate the two of them, then I can nurture, love and honor the person without taking it personally when it strikes at me...and, knowing that this is likely, I can take precautions, i.e. set internal and external boundaries by cultivating awareness, to prevent an attempt to strike from hitting its target.
I agree with this, and I know that this is how people do successfully live with and love one who is in active addiction. I do believe that this kind of equanimity can be achieved. I do believe in the good in people as well. But I also know that despite preventing the strikes from hitting their target, they often do anyway. I can successfully separate the person from their behavior in theory, but when my partner was choking me in a drunken rage, even though it wasn't his true self that was choking me, my windpipe was getting crushed all the same. The active addict and the true man unfortunately occupy the same body, and therefore use the same set of hands. When your air supply is cut, it's moot as to "who" is actually acting. You know what I mean?

So, I don't just think one way about this (big surprise, huh? lol)

As always, thank you for your interesting and honest perspective.
xo
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I do agree that a person's worth is separate from their behaviour - in the case of addiction. Addicts in active addiction do some shocking things. But I believe that this is the disease at work. That the soul, the 'true' person - sometimes hiding deep inside - is pure and clean. We are all children of God - and born pure. On the otherhand I believe you get some addicts who ARE the addiction. Whose worth is poor. You don't have to be an addict to have poor worth.
But cetainly - most addicts have a 'poor sense' of worth - therefore resorting to drugs etc to cover up deep feelings of hurt, pain etc.
I believe with hard core / long term addiction - the disease of addiction and self worth become so entangled that it can become very difficult to separate.
i think it's so important for a recovering addict to be aware of their worth - and that is is separate from addiction - as it allows for forgiveness and healing....
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I do agree that a person's worth is separate from their behaviour - in the case of addiction. Addicts in active addiction do some shocking things. But I believe that this is the disease at work. That the soul, the 'true' person - sometimes hiding deep inside - is pure and clean. We are all children of God - and born pure. On the otherhand I believe you get some addicts who ARE the addiction. Whose worth is poor. You don't have to be an addict to have poor worth.
But cetainly - most addicts have a 'poor sense' of worth - therefore resorting to drugs etc to cover up deep feelings of hurt, pain etc.
I believe with hard core / long term addiction - the disease of addiction and self worth become so entangled that it can become very difficult to separate.
i think it's so important for a recovering addict to be aware of their worth - and that is is separate from addiction - as it allows for forgiveness and healing....
Well said Lara !
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
So many dangerous messages on this thread.
Is there any way for me to make peace with you?