SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Are all addicts selfish? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/296137-all-addicts-selfish.html)

help4hubby 05-28-2013 08:43 PM

Are all addicts selfish?

Hi all! Been a while since I posted anything. I've really been struggling in my marriage lately. I'm beginning to wonder about something. Is selfishness a symptom of being an addict? Are all addicts selfish people even when they aren't using or is this an entirely different and separate issue?

legna 05-28-2013 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by help4hubby (Post 3988640)
Is selfishness a symptom of being an addict? Are all addicts selfish people even when they aren't using or is this an entirely different and separate issue?

I think that there are some cart and horse issues here. I don't believe that selfish people are more likely to become addicts but once addiction begins - then yes, generally (just in case of an exception that I can't think of), selfishness is a trait that is common to all addicts. Once in recovery however (not to be confused with abstinance), selfishness subsides and I truly believe that in later stages of recovery, the addict may truly become selfless...even moreso than the general public.

jmo

LoveMeNow 05-28-2013 10:05 PM

Some of the nicest people I have ever met are recovery addicts. But addiction, as a whole, is a very selfish disease.

cynical one 05-28-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow (Post 3988705)
But addiction, as a whole, is a very selfish disease.

As is codependency.

LoveMeNow 05-28-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by cynical one (Post 3988712)
As is codependency.

Yes, very true!

I was pretty shocked at how selfish I truly was when I started looking at many of my behaviors and motives.

cynical one 05-28-2013 10:24 PM

If you think about it this way. The addict will do whatever it takes to continue to use drugs. The codependent will do whatever it takes to make someone be who they want them to be and not allow them to be who they are. Which side sounds sicker?

allforcnm 05-28-2013 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by help4hubby (Post 3988640)
Hi all! Been a while since I posted anything. I've really been struggling in my marriage lately. I'm beginning to wonder about something. Is selfishness a symptom of being an addict? Are all addicts selfish people even when they aren't using or is this an entirely different and separate issue?

I think when a person is in active addiction they tend to be selfish because they are always thinking about themselves in how they will maintain appearances, get their drug, use their drug, conceal their drug use. The focus is turned inward in most aspects. But once a person stops using, I think there can also be a transition period because it takes a while to unlearn some of these behaviors, and rebuild relationships where they are in balance again. In time, I think there is a shift back to more of their normal personality; whatever that might be.

Bubovski 05-29-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by legna (Post 3988685)
I think that there are some cart and horse issues here. I don't believe that selfish people are more likely to become addicts but once addiction begins - then yes, generally (just in case of an exception that I can't think of), selfishness is a trait that is common to all addicts. Once in recovery however (not to be confused with abstinance), selfishness subsides and I truly believe that in later stages of recovery, the addict may truly become selfless...even moreso than the general public.

jmo

I tend to agree.
After all those demanding self gratifying hissy fits, I see light at the end of the tunnel for alcoholics and addicts.
It takes a really long time for some for such as myself.:headbange

nytepassion 05-29-2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by cynical one (Post 3988712)
As is codependency.

Brilliant!

Applause .. Applause

:)
Passion

mareahh 05-29-2013 05:28 PM

No