Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Our Higher Power

Thursday, May 2, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Our Higher Power

For the next twenty-four hours ...

In recovery, we live life one day at a time, an idea requiring an enormous amount of faith. We refuse to look back - unless healing from the past is part of today's work. We look ahead only to make plans. We focus on this day's activity, living it to the best of our ability. If we do that long enough, we'll have enough connected days of healing living to make something valuable of our life.

...I pray for knowledge of Your will for me only...

We surrender to God's will. We stop trying to control, and we settle for a life that is manageable. We trust our Higher Power's will for us - that it's good, generous, and with direction.

We're learning, through trial and error, to separate our will from God's will. We're learning that God's will is not offensive. We've learned that sometimes there's a difference between what others want us to do and God's will. We're also learning that God did not intend for us to be codependent, to be martyrs, to control or care take. We're learning to trust ourselves.

. . . and the power to carry that through.

Some of recovery is accepting powerlessness. An important part of recovery is claiming the power to take care of ourselves.

Sometimes, we need to do things that are frightening or painful. Sometimes, we need to step out, step back, or step forward. We need to call on the help of a Power greater than ourselves to do that.

We will never be called upon to do anything that we won't be empowered to do.

Today, I can call upon an energizing Power Source to help me. That Power is God. I will ask for what I need.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

In hindsight, I have this mental vision of God just sitting there patiently waiting for me to have "enough". He waited for years, still patient even though I got mad at Him and thought he had turned His back on me...he sat patiently while I tried to control the world.

And He was there the moment I let go and told Him "God, I cannot do this one more day!". Instantly I felt the load lift and I have never for a moment doubted that today He can do for me what I cannot do for myself. Today I trust God and live in faith, even blind faith, knowing that I am being led and it's all good.

Thanks for the reminder, LMN.

Hugs
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Oh Ann, you are so very welcome.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me god has been like a gps. every time I go off course he simply redirect the route.

but he has also let me bang my head against brick walls also.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The hard part for me was listening for the answer when I asked for help.

It wasn't always what I wanted to hear but I learned to trust the answer anyway.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Listening to listen for the answer was very hard for me too. I would talk and talk but would forget to listen. I picture God asking over and over again "Are you done yet? Oh my, does this child ever shut up? Ok, when you are done, I will be waiting." Thankfully, we have a loving, patient God.

Can you imagine your child asking you to go to the movies or to the park but never allowing you to give an answer? Then you find them pouting in their room. Yep, that was me!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Oops edit -Learning to listen.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This makes sense and is comforting:

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
Sometimes, we need to do things that are frightening or painful. Sometimes, we need to step out, step back, or step forward. We need to call on the help of a Power greater than ourselves to do that.

We will never be called upon to do anything that we won't be empowered to do.

Today, I can call upon an energizing Power Source to help me. That Power is God. I will ask for what I need.
Lately, it's been hard for me to stick with what I need to do to step forward; always a battle within.