Please help...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help...

I posted this in another thread earlier, but it's more suited here I believe...

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year. About two months into our relationship he opened up to me about his drug addiction. He has been in recovery from heroine addiction. He was doing so well...really getting his life together And staying sober. About 4 months ago I discovered that he had been taking Xanax since September. I finally convinced him to quit taking the Xanax. However, now he has found a doctor that prescribes him oxycodone. He tells me that he has back problems but I know he doesn't. The doctor has never required him to get any tests to diagnose any back issues and my boyfriend was fine without the pills before. Now he is a completely different person. He passes out in the middle of restaurants when were out to dinner and acts crazy on general. He gets irritated easily and last night he actually passed out walking up the stairs in our apartment. I don't know how to convince him that this is a problem. He thinks everything is fine and that I'm just being crazy but he is truly a different person. Please help me! I'm terrified he's going to die if he doesn't stop!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You can't convince him of anything, he knows he has a problem but is living in denial hoping nobody else can see it.

You can't change him, but you can choose whether or not you want to stay in this relationship.

He will use, and he may die, whether you stay or not. That's how it is with addiction...we are powerless over the addict and drugs.

Glad you joined us. Take a read around and you will see that you're not alone here.

Hugs
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I know that you must really care and love him but unfortunately he is choosing to fuel his addiction instead of waking up to the truth. I can relate to this because my boyfriend is aware that it hurts our relationship when he fuels his addiction - he doesn't want to hurt our relationship but his not willing to own up to his problem. It hurts like crazy to have to shut your boyfriend out when his hurting himself - but it has to be done, and you will move on whether or not you guys get back together or not. If his not taking the initiative to get clean - then his currently a lost cause, and you can't change him or his choices. I am currently in the midst of the same problem - you are not alone. Hang in there.