Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

So I am to blame for the relapses because of not providing a stable environment for R

So I am to blame for the relapses because of not providing a stable environment for R

Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Orange Lily

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
What your husband is doing is a form of splitting: he's manipulating the situation such that you and the Pastor are at odds and your husband's the "victim". Disgusting, but not at all surprising. I'd be willing to bet what your husband is telling him isn't exactly the truth.

I would encourage you to, if the situation presents itself, tell your Pastor as respectfully as you can to get lost. You need to be delicate when you do so, and as you said, he means well. But he's out of line, and he's being used by your husband.

ZoSo
This. I really have to question the line of reasoning someone would have for promoting staying with someone in an active, rough addiction. It won't make the relationship stronger to stay during the trying time... An addiction starts out as an intimate, personal thing... The user and their drug. The same way it starts is the way it ends- the user has to go through their own personal struggles and get clean on their own terms if they are really going to stay that way.

I'm sorry to hear your pastor is trying to take you back a step, not recognizing how scary this all is. Time to find a new pastor or to find a better support point.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelscry View Post
But I know if I take it one day at a time I will be able to forgive him for everything that happened.
I think this is the right approach. My husband had a relapse and is now getting himself back together doing counseling. But my feelings I can tell change over time. I was reluctant to believe he would accept help, anxious waiting to see how it went, fearful he was going through the motions and using behind my back, optimistic he was hanging in there, paranoid over his every little move, then feeling ok, wanting to put it behind us. then scared again. Im once again feeling stronger, and I know its a matter of taking it one day at a time, and I will get there, and hopefully he will too.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Is your Pastor a licensed counselor educated about drug addiction and it's effects on the family? If not, I would seek Professional advice and let him know you appreciate his spiritual guidance but are working with a counselor about these issues specific related to disease and drug addiction.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Angelscry, maybe you are crazy, what are you still doing there? Just kidding. Was there a lot of religion involved before he got sober? I mean did he run to the pastor and ask where can I find some meth, that sorta thing? Pretty much in a christian society a "wife" is a "mother" you can have sex with. You are supposed to run around for the rest of you marriage cleaning up all his spills and leaks. All you are ever going to get from a pastor, preacher is an answer that puts you in a subordinate position to a man. He wouldn't even borrow money for diapers for his child. Pitiful. Rootin for ya Angelscry.
thanks Neferkamicheal, my Ah was religious before he left the church to go do druggs. and thats why he probably always go to the Pastor for help. Our Pastor is a kind man its just that he cannot really help us because he doesn't have any experience with drugg addiction etc.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Hanna no he is not a licensed counselor and as far as I can see his knowledge where drugs are concerned is very limited. We are working with a counselor, I hate to make people feel that they not needed but I really need to tell him that his well meaning advice is not always that helpful.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Smile

[QUOTE=Marshmallow;3946861] But my feelings I can tell change over time. Marshmallow you just about summed up my feelings its maddening sometimes but I allow myself to feel what I feel, I admit how I am feeling and then I try to deal with it. I hope that things improve for us and our husbands this is a very difficult thing to go through, but at least we have got the fellowship meetings and each other.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am adamant that us Alanoners cement in our heads that We didn't cause the alcoholism, can't control/change it, and can't cure it.

Angelscry: from my heart I thank you for your posts. You will be okay.

If anything, don't nag him!!! and that's pretty easy to take care of.

But seriously, many people outside of our relationships think they know what is best for us. Most don't know anything about alcoholism, addiction, codependency. They tend to shame us and lay guilt and responsibility for others on us.

I run into people from my past who seem to think I stopped existing after we last met. 30 years later they think I am the same person. I'm saying many people don't gives us credit for our daily recovery and only focus on the past. As your AH recovers you don't remain inert. You have also been growing and changing.

The disease itself doesn't have anything to do with you. And his recovery must be solely his own responsibility no matter what the living conditions are like.

As a kid I remember my mother talking about how a minister shamed our aunt in remaining in an abusive alcoholic marriage. She did stay married. He died drunk. I don't know what her life would have been like, but it wouldn't have had all the children bolting at age 18, and one of them raising a shotgun to their father.

Actually, I'm a bit miffed at your pastor. Could you politely tell him to go to hell? JK
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you wiscsober, I think I am going to politely tell him that he does not understand addiction and then suggest he speak to someone who can give him some insight. Then I will tell him that we are seeing a counsellor and that he must also be carefull not to get used by my AH I think zoso said that Adicts can be manipulative at times and I have seen as much. Ill try my bestest not to nag, still working on that one!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelscry View Post
Thank you wiscsober, I think I am going to politely tell him that he does not understand addiction and then suggest he speak to someone who can give him some insight. Then I will tell him that we are seeing a counsellor and that he must also be carefull not to get used by my AH I think zoso said that Adicts can be manipulative at times and I have seen as much. Ill try my bestest not to nag, still working on that one!

You are doing well and deserve a lot of credit for being a loving and caring person.