SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Family Members... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/292570-family-members.html)

shinebright7 04-25-2013 05:15 PM

Clearly we are not alone.

I'm here because the beast of addiction lives in my husband.

He is a child of God, like everyone else.

And the beast also lives in him, as it does in all other addicts/alcoholics.

It does not discriminate.

Only by the grace of God does it not exist in me in the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

TabulaRasa81 04-25-2013 07:31 PM

My Mother is a functioning alcoholic and has been since I was small. She is sober at the moment.
My husband is a lifelong user of everything and everybody. Most currently Marijuana and Percocet.
He is currently living with his brother....

Slm65 04-25-2013 07:47 PM

My father in law was an abusive drunk which affected my husband and subsequently our relationship. He's also a borderline alcoholic himself. And my 26 year old son is heading down that road too.

mstrust 04-25-2013 08:34 PM

my (now ex) boyfriend is an opiate addict. my brother is doing who knows what--has overdosed on heroin twice that i know of. also been into cocaine. drinking. who knows what else.

i'm codependent and was a serious pothead for years and now have almost 8 months clean. i've also done my share of irresponsible drinking but haven't had a drink for almost 2 years. don't miss that at all.

coffeebrk38 04-26-2013 06:37 AM

My younger brother is an addict. Currently his DOC is heroin. He has basically lost everything down to his career and child in a matter of roughly two years. The only reason he has anything is because of my parents and his girlfriend who keep "helping" him. No jail time yet but its been knocking on his door.

interrupted 04-26-2013 11:27 AM

I'm ACoA as well as F&F. Because we were so poor growing up, we frequently moved around and lived with family or friends, etc. so I consider all of the following family members immediate family as we grew up in the same cars and "households" (I use the term very loosely):

Mother - Alcoholic, marijuana, previously (?) cocaine
Father - Alcoholic
Sister - Heroin, marijuana
Aunt - Alcoholic
Uncle - Alcoholic
Cousin 1 - Heroin, meth, pills, anything and everything she can get her hands on
Cousin 2 - Meth (Recovery? Unknown)
Grandfather - Alcoholic
Grandmother - Died of alcoholism

I had one grams that wasn't an addict/alcoholic, but she died not long ago. I live thousands of miles away from these people; whenever we speak I am alarmed by the level of chaos that constitutes a "normal" day for them. It is complete insanity. My life is so deliciously boring in contrast. Most of them think that I abandoned them. Maybe I did. I'm okay with that now.

peacedove 04-26-2013 11:36 AM

recently joined due to an alcoholic, pot and cocaine using/addicted ex-boyfriend. i only listed substances i know for certain. probably more but this was enough.

OwlFeathers 04-26-2013 05:19 PM

My daughter is 25 and addicted to Oxy's, for about six years now. She is in and out of jail, currently in and probably going to go to prison. Her biological father, my ex, is an alcoholic. There isn't anyone else that I know of in my family who is addicted to anything, and I always hold out hope that she will find it within herself to turn her life around.

bluebelle 04-26-2013 06:56 PM

My mom is an addict. My father has pretty much been always absent, but he is an alcoholic/addict. My bf is a pill addict--currently in treatment on subs. My step-daughter is a heroin addict and in and out of jail/rehab. There are other addicts in the family--a couple of alcoholic uncles, but you get the idea.

OwlFeathers 04-27-2013 03:46 AM

should probably add that I am a co-dependant, so that probably doesn't help, but I am learning.

FeelingGreat 04-27-2013 04:09 AM

Me, alcoholic. My sister, alcoholic. My parents drank heavily through my teenage years. Two lovely adult children who are not addicts, and a DIL who is a recovering addict.

Ann 04-27-2013 04:41 AM

My adult son has been addicted to pot, crack, cocaine, and last heard meth. He has been in and out of recovery most of his adult life, losing one wife and two children in the process. He once had 3 years clean, a couple of 1 years and mostly in and out of the revolving door of addiction/recovery.

He has been missing for over 8 years, lost in his addiction somewhere. We haven't heard anything from him and don't know where he is. I pray for him each morning and turn his care over to God...then enjoy my days, finding the beauty in each one and live life as life should be lived, with joy and peace in my heart.

Hugs

PresentTense 04-27-2013 07:20 PM

I grew up in a home with parents who were functioning alcoholics. That experience groomed me to be mega codependent with character defects that I have worked on rooting out of my life, am working on and will probably be working on for the rest of my life.

My 24 year old daughter is a heroin addict who began using crystal meth through IV a year ago because she lived in an area where there was no heroin. She has been in inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, a halfway house, etc. I lost contact with her about nine months ago and did not know if she was even alive.

She was in jail for two weeks recently for missing a court date and that seems to have done her some good. Not that it was a bad experience compared with how she lived on a day to day basis. She was really grateful that she had food and shelter for two weeks and began to think a little clearer without the drugs.

She is in the process of trying to get into a long term rehab, one or two years. She has a long, hard, road ahead of her but I believe recovery is possible for her if she is ready for the journey.

Meanwhile I continue to work on mending my own broken parts and do everything I can to live the gift of every day to the fullest.

I am very grateful for the wisdom and encouragement I have gotten on SR.

PineappleCity 04-27-2013 11:41 PM

I just found out that my friend is using heroin. We have been friends for over 10 years, dont know for sure how long its been happening with him.